Know any labs/users that use D-76 and would want to get paid to do my films?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Rep4621, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Rep4621

Rep4621 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looking for any labs (or users) that would like to develop my films with d-76.

Labs could be worldwide.

Same with users.

I´d pay for the d-76. I don´t need anything scanned.

2. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use D76 regularly and run a commercial fibre based silver gelatin printing service, but I would recommend you find someone in northern Europe

However, for the cost of a tank, changing bag and a few bottles of chemicals surely you could set that up yourself

John

I wou

3. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd do them for you but then I don't have pay pal for you to pay me, we can figure that out, PM me if you're interested we can talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  4. Rep4621

Rep4621 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Grumpy Old Man: I actually have all the setup and have been doing them myself. However, my room temperature varies, causing the chemistry temperature to drop while developing etc, etc. I´d rather just find someone else.

I travel very much so I might send films from US one month, then France another and so on so I have no preference as to where the lab/user is located. Negatives would then be sent to Norway. I would probably ship in bulks of 20 or more most of the time.

Leave me a PM or post here if interested and hopefully I´ll find someone.

dehk: Sent you a PM

5. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the good NYC lab's techs will run film to your spec in any developer you want. I'd specifically try The Small Darkroom or MV Labs. Both are top notch.

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider travelling with the tank, etc held in a small wash basin that packs in your travel case.
    The small wash basin can be filled from a tap to the right temperature to act as a water bath to stabilize the temperature that you are processing at.

Also look up drift though temperature control. This was common when processing paper in tubes back in home processed colour days.
    Temp in, and temp out after nominal 5 or so minutes. The temperature changes quite a lot less after five minutes than it does in the first five if the tank is small and the room is hotter or colder. Plastic tank less influenced than stainless steel. Effecive time is determined from the average of the in and out temperature. An tank wwith empty reels water run can be the basis for the experimetal data.

The option of HC-110 or Rodinal is more friendly to travel developing , but you did say d-76 for some reason that may be important to you.

There are also calculators in Kodak dataguides among many other sources that give you the adjusted time for variations in temperature so that you do not need to always process at 20C.

7. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Elevator has d76 as one of its main lines... we are only running batch processing or larger volumes and are not price sensitive to single roll runs.
    We are in Toronto Ontario .
    www.elevatordigital.ca

10. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes we use D76 otherwise I wouldn't have replied to the OP.

11. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You mentioned Champion Promicrol in the link of my post, which is why I asked. Thanks for clarifying. :smile:

12. Rep4621

Rep4621 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have gotten more responses than I first imagined but it seems I may have found my man. Will keep all you others in mind if something extraordinary comes up.

Thank you, once again.

13. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Why not do it yourself??

14. Rep4621

Rep4621 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mentioned it briefly in an earlier post, but here it goes:

-Room-temperature varies. This causes the temperature of developer to lower in mid-developing. It´s hard getting consistant results this way. Did a test on the fixer which was about 20 degrees when I poured it in and 18 when I poured it out.
    -It takes time. Time that could be spent taking pictures.
    -Sometimes I have to travel home from overseas, just to develop films. Now I can ship them off instead and save the trip home.

So for me this is personally the best option.

15. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes I was trying out Promicrol for the last year to see what results I get from it but I was using this on my own films. Infact I am quite pleased with the results from Promicrol but it's still a work in progress.

Our customer's films are processed in D76 @ 1+1. I use D76 because how can you go wrong with it!!!!!!:smile:

16. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We really should start a full-service APUG lab. Everybody buys in for $100 to get the place fully outfitted, then the processing price goes to materials + some basic wage + s&h. All very transparent and easy to manage.

17. Oscar Carlsson

Oscar Carlsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a small one-man lab in northern Sweden who probably can develop in D76 as well. I've sent a few rolls for C41 development there and haven't had any issues so far.

http://enbrabild.se/

18. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An Antipodean Option..

Given that the OP specifies D-76,this is unlikely to find favor,but,I have to ask -why D-76 ?
    I am running a replenished XTOL line,and it really is a step-up from good old D-76 in any of the parameters that matter.
    And I used D76,diluted 1:1,for many years of pro use. When Kodak,in the days they had an R&D division,released XTOL, they also rated it,against D-76(invented in the 1920's,as a reliable developer for the emerging motion picture industry) as being clearly superior. In fact,they were like a dog with a new bone.

Nuts! -full strength ,seasoned developer ; better than my standard? Admittedly only compared with one emulsion (Neopan 400 ).And,it really is better.

The OP would have to send his film to New Zealand,..Hobbiton.