Kodachrome 40 Type A / 5070

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tjaded, Nov 6, 2007.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all--
    I just recently came across a brick of Kodachrome 40, still all wrapped up, and I am having mixed feelings about what to do with it. I love Kodachrome and bought it with the intension of shooting it...but I am having doubts for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is that while I am slightly fanatical about Kodachrome, I am not as bad off as others and I sort of think this might be better used by someone that lives and breathes for K-14! The second reason is that I don't know enough about this version of the film...is it very different from K64? I know that the 25 goes for insane amounts on eBay, maybe I should sell it on eBay and buy some K64? Heck, I dunno. Anyway, if you have any thoughts on this film I would love to hear them. Maybe it will help me decide if I am worthy of this honor bestowed upon me...ha ha. Maybe I should repost this in the antique & collectible area. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Matt

2. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Considering I still have some K-25 that I bought before the insane prices kicked in, I would say, why not shoot some of your K-40?

3. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    K40 is tungsten balanced, so with a filter its about equal to 25 in daylight. I think it has a nicer colour balance than 64.

4. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yeah, and Crazy reds. When you correct it for daylight you can use one filter less, whatever it is, not correct it fully to daylight and it looks very cool. Shot a bunch of it, and still have some floating around in the freezer. Insane reds.

5. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    K40 is the tungsten balanced motion picture varient.....I've never heard of it as a stills format.

Check the "brick" you may well find it is super8 or 16mm

Dwaynes still process it.

Matt

6. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I thought too. I have K40 in Super 8, never heard of it as a stills film.

7. Scandium

Scandium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodachrome 5070

Kodachrome 40 A/5070 is 35mm color slide film balanced for 3400K photoflood lamps. I believe 7270 is the motion picture code. You can use it in daylight with an 85A filter at EI 25.

I used it in the late 70s mostly for slide duplication. It is a bit contrasty for copying, but the colors were wonderful.