Kodachrome at Uniquephoto

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ilovekodachrome, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ilovekodachrome

ilovekodachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    a rip off.

4. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have used Unique photo as my main film vendor for over 20 years. I pick up the phone and telephone them when I want to order. I have found their film prices across the board to be very similar to B&H and Adorama and less than Calumet. I have never placed much emphasis on their website, and actually I find their website to be difficult due to lack of information on film products.

6. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh man, I just checked. $109.00 for one 36 exposure roll of Kodachrome 64. I am all for Capitalism...but come on...

I knew that the Federal Reserve and no backing of paper money was a bad idea. Dang you Woodrow Wilson! *angrily shakes fist*

7. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a good idea.
    Step 1: Price Kodachrome really high for no apparent reason.
    Step 2: Kodachrome users freak out thinking this is a sign of the end times (i.e. last production run of the film remaining stocks being sold out) and buy it en masse at the high prices.
    Step 3: Profit!

8. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Something wrong with the website prices, surely? (I don't think they'll sell many 36 exp Ektachrome at over $130, either!!) :confused:

Why not phone them, before anyone dies of shock! I'm in the UK, and the best price at the moment (process included) is the equivalent of less than $12There are warnings of a price rise, but that would be understandable as there surely can't be any profit at $12 a time. :sad:

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think those are probably multiple roll packs, and somehow the fact got missed on the web site, they have a roll of Fuji Superia 400 CH, 135 x 12 exposure roll for $18.90 and a 135x24 exposure for $9.25 (huh?) and and a 50 pack of 24 exposure rolls of the same film for $74.50 or $1.49 per roll. You would have to be smokin' some really weird stuff in order to buy the single 12 exposure rolls in that case. Now if those are 5 or 10 packs, then it would make a lot more sense. Some films are labelled as multiple roll packs, and some are not, which is why it's a little confusing.

11. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sent them an email on this.

Their reply was that "the price is wrong and should be much lower and they'll fix it, eventually. And btw, it's a low volume product, would you like to bulk order?"

Strange kind of low volume product that can be bulk-ordered...

12. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps, given a product with "low volume" sales (and most current maximum K64 expiry dates are less than 12 months) , they don't hold huge stocks, and they're inviting you to place a special bulk-order with some discount?

Sounds fair to me.....most of the UK mail order suppliers offer quite good discounts for 5 or 10 of one kind of film. :smile:

13. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm sure it was a mistake. Despite their spotty online catalogue and weird retail shop out in the hinterland of god-forsaken, stripmall new jersey, Unique Photo is an incredibly reliable retailer of traditional material. They are in many ways the Freestyle of the East Coast (but with better prices) by virtue of the fact that they supply the majority of schools on the east coast with chemistry, film, and paper. The difference is the lack of advertising and the self-congratulatory "we're committed to traditional materials" attitude. I discovered them when I was searching high and low for an ilford 2150xl chem. kit. Not only did they have it in stock but it was $10 less than B and H (and they won't ship 'em). They also sell kodak endura papers 15% less than what b and h charges. Call and dial ext. 209 and talk to Gene. He's the man!

14. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle has K64 listed twice at $8.09+ and K64 professional listed at $12.99I did not know that there is a KC 64 professional. Has Kodak released a fresh batch, anyone seen a experation date beyond 2009?

15. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Pro version is definitely no longer available in the UK. As I mentioned above, the UK films are all the standard version and all include the processing and card mounting by Dwaynes for a best price currently around $12 equivalent.

The only extra cost is a postage stamp (72 pence - about $1) to Kodak in Switzerland.

My most recent purchase last week was expiry 12/2009, but I've seen mention on one of the other groups of 03/2010.

16. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I though Kodak Switzerland was no longer processing K 14.

17. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

That's correct, but you still mail your film to the address in Switzerland, where it is bulk shipped to Dwaynes in the USA.

18. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As I said in my last post, the processing and mounting is done by Dwaynes (returned in their box and mounts)....in the UK (and presumably Europe generally?) we post our films to Kodak in Lausanne, they ship to and from Kansas, and post the slides back from Switzerland.
    The mailing envelopes supplied with the films have the Lausanne address.