Kodachrome going into the Caffenol soup.

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by guitstik, Dec 9, 2010.

1. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received a few rolls of expired Kodachrome color reversal type A film from a fellow APUGer and I just got the wild idea to soup it in Caffenol-c and see what I can get out of it.
    At the moment I am adjusting the temp of all my chemicals and stabilizing the temp of the film. From what I have read, most people are developing at about 23-25 C so that is what I am doing. I am also trying to figure the best times to develop, stop and fix. That reminds me, I forgot the stop bath better get it in there now.

2. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Guit,

I'll be waiting to see the results.

I have a roll of K-25 from 1982, that's looking for some photographic action !!!

Enjoy The Day !

Ron

3. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aha, Eureka, success, success, success. Images, imagine that, images on film. This is fantastic, I must tell the world of my discovery.

I used the Massive Dev Chart on my iPhone for Kodalith ISO 32 D-76 stock with a 20min soak in water before I started the developing and after the rinse I had to clean off the Remjet but I still have images. Now all I have to do is take it and have it scanned so that I can upload the images.

4. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK ... Calm Down !

Did you take those words out of WBLynchs' mouth ?

I seem to recall :

" I'm still excited simply to get visible images !!
    I'm amazed every time I pull a strip of film from the tank. "
    WBLynch, APUG Subscriber

Spread The Word, And Share Your Enthusiasm !!!

Ron

5. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Ron, you are correct. I must curb my enthusiasm and relax, perhaps another Heineken is in order. I had not really expected to get anything out of this in fact after I fixed it I checked for images and all I could see was black splotches but I remembered that the rem-jet had to be removed so I continued the rinse and then cleaned it up and saw the images. I don't think that I have heard to much about developing 15 year old Kodachrome in caffenol-c and to actually do it is cool.

Joel

6. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea what happened (well, actually probably going to Walgreen's wasn't the best idea) but the images I got back on the CD are almost non existent. I can see clear distinct images on the negative but they didn't come out on the disk.

Gahhhh, trying to figure out how to attach pictures to the thread.

7. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you tell the people at Walgreens that you need your film scanned as Black and white film? Remember slide film is clear, color film is orange.

8. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I posted a few of the scans in the gallery and they are representative of the disparity in the entire negative. Any ideas that can explain why this happened?

9. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did tell him that it was Kodachrome color reversal and what I saw on the monitor did not give a hint to what I got back. Almost all of the pics on the CD are non existent. The film is orange and not clear.

10. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done this with success. The rem jet black needed to be removed manually.

But I scan my own films, I think your troubles centeres around (usual) too low concentration in the US recipes, you need to nearly double everything (visit Reinhold's blog!) and letting somebody else touch your negatives.

Buy a used cheap Canon Canoscan 8800F scanner and never look back!

11. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I live in Memphis and work in Cordova, and have an Epson Perfection V600 scanner at home. I'll be glad to scan your negs for free if you drop them off at my workplace.

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you get a sheet of photo paper and a sheet of 8x10 glass
    you can make a sun print contact sheet of your film.
    it takes a few hours to expose but you will get images on the paper.
    this works well... and if you can find a scanner,
    you can scan the positive / prints without any worries.

13. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ottrdaemmerung, I would be glad to bring the neg by to have you scan it, that would be great. My problem is my schedule at work sucks but I am off on Thr. & Fri.

John, I have some older photo paper that may not be good for regular printing but I might try the sun print contact thingy, what have I got to lose?

I'm thinking that when they scanned the neg at Walgreen's they did it as a color neg and not the black and white I asked for. The images on the neg are clear and defined so I don't see why they didn't scan well. Ottrdaemmerung, If you want to send me an PM when can get together and figure out a time when.

14. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost all color products processed as B&W will have a yellow cast to them which ruins the scan unless you tell the scanner to do the job as if it were B&W. If you remove color, then the images will look just fine.

The reversal processing in scanning turns the yellow to blue!

PE

15. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, so PE, you just confirmed that I am not as look as I dumb I am. I kinda figured that is what happened and you just gave credence to my uninformed guess . If you look at the picture of the pot it is nothing but blue.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
  16. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I copied and pasted to PS and clicked on remove color. The image I copied looked just fine! Just too small! :wink:

PE

17. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Out of 36 exposures there were only a handful that scanned with any weight to them to get an image. I'm thinking that if they had done it as black and white I would have had more images.