KODACHROME

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by tjaded, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone have any information regarding the number of rolls of Kodachrome that get processed either daily/weekly/monthly or annually? I suppose I could call Dwayne's, but I don't know if they would be comfortable sharing such info...

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why wouldn't they be comfortable?

They're just about the only ones doing so - so only they would know.

3. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can send them an email, they've been very helpful with my questions.

4. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't find the page any more, but sure I saw a article around the time the Lausanne lab closed which gave a volume of around 1500 rolls daily of existing business plus another 1000/day from Europe.

Ian

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That works out to about 650,000 rolls per year (assuming 5 processing days a week). Still looks like Kodachrome is alive and kicking.

6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I called them and they said 35mm still photo is 1000 rolls per day. I didn't ask about movie film. The lab I work in used to be one of the authorized Kodachrome labs up until the mid 1990's, but it seems the big yellow made it too difficult to keep it. Too bad. I would love to be involved in keeping Kodachrome going (besides shooting it, I mean...) I've said it before and I'll say it again...if Kodachrome was available in 120 or 4x5, I would probably never shoot anything else!

7. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am new to slides... what kind e-6 slides film have the kodachrome look? maybe it is a stupid question....

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodachrome 64* is (was?) famous for "its nice bright colors" as Paul Simon famously said.

More particularly, it really "wows" the reds and yellows; less so the blues and greens.

Fuji Velvia 50 is better on the blues and greens - but I find it does nice reds too - if not to the "wow" level. The older version of Velvia 50 has been discontinued - but a new formulation is supposed to be released soon (May 2007).

There is also Velvia 100 - which I've only used a few times but seems quite good.

YMMV and I'm sure others here will have alternative opinions.

* I think I might have once shot a roll of Kodachrome 25 - it is a "legendary" film.

9. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome has a unique way of rendering red, something I've never been able to match in an E6 film. I shoot lots of trains and Canadian Pacific is my favourite railroad, and their locomotives are red. I can tell at a glance if the film is Kodachrome or not, just by the way it renders that particular red.

10. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got back 40 rolls today. About 10 rolls of 200, one roll of 25 and the rest 64, it looks incredible with Leica aspheric lenses.

11. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes - red is particularly striking with Kodachrome - combined with nice skin tones - something that I find Velvia can be risky for.

I am currently testing various colour reversal films prior to a trip to India in October - I would love to use Kodachrome but I just don't want to risk sending it thousands of miles for processing.

Velvia might seem an obvious choice for the often vibrant colours you see in India, and many many photographs of the plcae have been shot on that film - but I sort of feel I wanbt a more natural look rather than the saturated Fuji look.

Matt

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Matt,

I'd probably figure the same way. But when I think about the "colors" of India - particularly the reds and yellows of the clothing, the decorations and the markets - I have to think that only K-chrome can catch the vividness and richness of that end of the spectrum! :wink:

13. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just ordered some of that Kodachrome. I'm not even going to India! Heck, I'm not even going to Indiana....

16. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    You will never be disappointed with K-chrome. :wink:

Just remember it's environmentally-incorrect; it can only be processed by one place in the entire world etc.

It's like a recreational drug. So beautiful and, yet so dangerous.....

Enjoy, your K-chrome. :wink:

17. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know...the lab I work in was one of the 5 or so Kodachrome labs in the 1990's. I wish they still did it, but San Francisco is not the city to do K-14 in! We still get people bringing it in for processing. I hate to turn them away.

18. dickie vaara

dickie vaara Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow, is K25 still available, or are you fortunate enough to have some stockpiled?
    Certainly one of the best films I ever shot.

Thx.

19. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    K25 is only available to those who hoarded it away, and I don't think they'll be letting go of it any time soon.
    I got back 8 rolls of K64, and 2 rolls of Fortia SP from Dwaynes a few days ago. K64 records things much more naturally, but to the brown tones of an Australian summer it's what you'd expect, rather dull. Fortia is everything you hear about, saturation. When I don't need anything fancy and can get my hands on it, Kodachrome seems to work very well for me.

20. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is this film safe/necessary to be frozen in my kitchen? :smile:

21. vanspaendonck

vanspaendonck Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just bought 48 rolls of 35 mm Kodachrome 64 at Adorama at $ 4.44 plus shipping. These are dated March 2007, but I don't worry too much about that. Shot six rolls in Rome last week (Leica M6 TTL, mostly Tri-Elmar) and sent these to Dwayne's today.
    Can't wait to see how they turn out.

BTW: during five days in Rome, I saw a million digital cameras and only two Leica M's, not a single TLR , no MF and no Graflex or other LF (but that was perhaps a bit much to ask for).

22. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here in NYC it's much the same thing - such that I've stopped looking to see if just maybe the shooter was using a film camera.

Today I saw a tourist shooting pictures of tulips growing in a concrete planter in front of an office building. She was using her cell phone. At first I thought - well there's another roll of film that never got sold. And then I realized - well there's another digi camera (P&S or dSLR) that never got sold! :wink:

23. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a large stock of it, 2000-2003 emulsions for a big project that I am starting to use before it loses D-Max. All frozen along with 1,400 rolls of 64 and several hundred rolls of 200.

A lot of the 25 will be shot in a Hasselblad XPan.

24. gregrudd

gregrudd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am in Australia with some older pre-paid processing K64 is there any where in Australia that is still accepting K64. Note I am not worried about having to pay to get K64 processed. My question to the Australian users is where do you send your K64 off to. If it is not that expensive I detect a rather large purchase is on the way.

25. Noons

Noons Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 35mm color I used to shoot Kodachrome and only Kodachrome until two of my rolls went missing. Now I'm using Astia and may go back for the Kodachrome colors.