Kodak 3409 Aerecon 70mm?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by polyglot, Feb 21, 2013.

1. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are some 650' rolls of Kodak 3409 on eBay. Reading the spec sheet, it seems to me that it could possibly act as replacement for some other super-slow films that have recently been discontinued. Kodak doesn't show it as discontinued (like 2405) but I don't see it for sale elsewhere.

Has anyone here tried it? That seller has flogged three rolls already so SOMEONE out there is using it!

A secondary question: would any 70mm users be interested (in principle) in splitting a roll? Given the thinner base you can't just judge length by filling existing spools so we'd need some means of counting sprocket holes.

2. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dont have a 70mm back, though would love to try this film.

3. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi Polyglot,
    This is the perfect example of what I was telling you about a few days ago. Under Ideal condition 650' will yield to around 260 -120 rolls. So, it comes to around $3.85 per single 120 roll. For that money you can buy almost any BW 120 film on Market. It will be fresh and with known history. Of course YMMV

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, it's a bit $$. I was considering offering maybe $600ish for it as I think $2.50/roll is reasonable for expired film.

However for me in AU, I pay about $1-2/roll extra in shipping, even 50 at a time. So the cheapest fresh first-class film I can get (Acros) is about $4.50/roll at my doorstep, more often $6/roll.

5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi Polyglot, got it! There are quite a few of you from Australia here, maybe is time for some kind of film ordering co-op? We have similar story here, Freestyle is still taxing Canadians with hefty handling fees.

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, we tend to do that frequently, at least within cities. No point doing it Australia-wide because our cities are mostly 700km+ apart and the re-postage kills any savings.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Side note I want to visit Australia badly, any idea of the prospect of couch surfing film friends? :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly. I gotta spare room with a bed, but the couch is there if you prefer.

I hope to be in the US in late June, but in MI.

@polyglot. I too would be interested in trying this film.

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well perhaps someday, I do prefer beds to couches haha, it is an American Phrase "couch surfing" "crash at your place" are silly phrases for staying over in place of a hotel usually with people with less money :smile:

I think there's even a website couchsurfing.com or something like that but I haven't used it haha.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

10. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While this is only remotely OT, i can vouch for couchsurfing.com, having relied on it for months.

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some get it all for free...

12. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I sent a $500 offer to the seller, who replies that he would accept no less than $750.

I'd be happy to buy about 1/3 of it at that price so do we have another two 70mm shooters who would like about 215' for $250? And if so, do you have empty spools to put your share on?

If not, I'm just gonna buy another 5 rolls (750') of 2405 from that Canadian guy. It's a bit crunchy but I like the glow and the price is right.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    sorry not with the release of the Ilford 70mm films... I'm all tapped out...

14. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi Polyglot, sorry, can you please elaborate on "bit crunchy"? Is it your comment for the 2405 film??

15. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    crunchy = there's a fair bit of grain; lots of little sharp edges like a muesli bar (granola bar, for the yanks). Yes, referring to the 2405, it's about as grainy as HP5 I think (I've not wet-printed any yet though will do some this week). I am getting to rather like the stuff though.

I'd like the 3409 as a possible replacement for Efke-25: grain about as fine as Acros/TMX but with (far!) better red response and a more-traditional S-curve.

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Muesli? ... yes Granola ... I'm not even sure how to pronounce Muesli ... is it "Moo-ess-leee"? or like "meez-lee"? or something else? Never ever have I heard that word lol

17. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  18. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mucilage?

Just kidding. Some of us in the States know the term muesli. Stone, you may be familiar with Kellogg's Mueslix cereal?

19. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you got it right with mucilage. :tongue:

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nope, never heard of that, must be a southern thing? They have a lot of different words than the new englanders, and around here "yanks" specifically means New England area of the USA, but not the south or Mideast or west, just New England (upper right corner) :smile:

~Stone

21. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in Ohio; we don't use those Southern words here, lol. Oh, and we drink pop, not soda.
    My best friend and I took a vacation to New England a few years ago; wonderful region.

When Mueslix (name of the Kellogg's cereal, not the generic name) came out in the late 80s or early 90s there was quite an advertising campaign on TV.
    It appears to still be around, but I've not really visited the cereal isle since I was in my early teens.

22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Lol "pop" is a southern word lol!

The first time some southerner used that word I tried to corrected them saying you mean suck on? Thinking they meant a Lilly pop or whatnot. Shows my ignorance at cultural language differences, but I still call it soda :smile:

~Stone

23. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lolly pop? We call those "suckers." LOL
    In our area, Lolly Pops are those really large ones that are only for children. Suckers are smaller and for ages 7 and up.
    Jawbreakers are perceived as very large 1920s versions of Gobstoppers.

I've never quite figured out the pop versus soda thing. Pop is supposedly Midwest, but a few Midwest areas call it soda (diaspora aside). Northern, Southern and West-coast regions typically call it Soda as well. We all know what we mean, and tend to tease each other when in different areas. I only tease people with the Californian accent when they say "sew-da."

Before our time, I believe it was all Soda Pop, and different areas went different ways with it. I could be wrong.

Ever try a phosphate or a _malted_ milkshake? They were more prevalent in my father's childhood, but once in a blue moon I find a place that makes them, and they are a bit different.

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is "pop" in Canada.

Soda is what the heathen add to their Scotch.:whistling: