Kodak 3A modifications

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by bambolero, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bambolero

bambolero Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi everyone, I recently acquired a couple of the old Kodak folders (3A) which take the now obsolete 122 film. One of the folders has torn bellows and is pretty worn out but the lens and shutter seem to be in fine working order. Other than repairing the bellows and then still having to figure out how to work out the lack of film issue I was wondering if anyone has had luck adapting this type of similar lens to a different camera body (or even built a new body from scratch) and format (LF, medium, pinhole). Thanks.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi there

if you can get the lens off it might cover 4x5 .. post card format is 3.75x5.5 ( i think ? )

i have a 3A as well ( both a folder and a graflex slr ) and i respool the film spools with paper
    and make paper negatives .. its kind of fun :smile:

good luck with your project !
    john

3. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's how I modified mine. I've created three spacers from leftover 35mm film canisters and bolts and nuts. Just trim the canisters, poke a hole in the center and run a bolt through. For winder, I created a winder spacer from a wood dowel with a short metal piece (see pictures). I wind by simply counting number of winds. Makes a great panoramic camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've extracted lenses from Folding Pocket Kodaks, including #3A, and used them on 2x3 Graphics. Any of the lenses fitted to #3As should work well on a 4x5 camera as long as large movements aren't needed.

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and, at least the B&L RR, will make some pretty respectable images!

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian, opinions differ but IMO the 6.75"/6.3 Tessar IIb fitted to some #3A FPKs is preferable, as is the Compound they're in. EKCo Ball Bearing shutters have always struck me as iffy, and most of the RRs I've seen in FPKs have had separation problems.

7. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    -anikin- does the same thing I have been doing for the past 4yrs or so.. https://www.facebook.com/3AKODAK
    I shoot these cameras regularly, give them as gifts - sort of a hobby.. dw

8. ezwriter

ezwriter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the same camera and trying to load 120 film in a 118. Spent hours making spool adapters from metal ,t hen saw
    online a guy used two straw pieces, like soda straws and duct tape.
    i took a straw, cut to fit each end of 120 roll. worked perfect! You just put the straws in the next roll of film. KISS!