Kodak 4x5 Plate Holders

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bvy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking online at some of the older 4x5 plate holders made by Kodak. Does anyone know: Do these holders hold a full 4x5 plate, or do they also require that the plate be trimmed down (to the size of modern 4x5 film)? The 4x5 plates I'm using don't fit a modern holder. And I have no interest in trimming them down to size. Thanks.

2. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some old plates that I can measure, but since the adapters for film (sheaths) fit into the plate holders and then the film fits into them, I would guess that the plate holders are closer to an actual 4 x 5.

3. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an old 4x5 Graflex plate holder and I stuck a piece of HP5+ in it to see. It's a little wider than the film, but the length is about the same, maybe even slightly shorter. But I have no idea if Graflex plates were their own size or if there was a standard size back then.

4. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you both. I'm wondering if it's worth getting an older wooden one and trying to modify it...

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The plates I have are 4" x 4 7/8".

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 1951 ASA dimensions for 4x5 plates is 3 63/64 x 4 63/64 inches with +/- 1/64 tolerance and a minimum of 0.048 and maximum 0.053 thickness. Old plates vary from these standards, some I own being as much as 0.050" oversize.