Kodak announces reorganization

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Photo Engineer, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today, Mr. Perez announced the reorganization of Eastman Kodak into 3 divisions, with managers reporting directly to him.

In my opinion, this move will eventually make it easier to divide the company up into 3 parts along product lines if the reorganization fails.

This was presented on TV as follows:

The company will now have three separate operating groups -- a consumer group, a digital printing and enterprise group and a graphics, entertainment and commercial film group.

Managers names were not announced.

PE

2. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Shame he didn't announce his own firing.
    For the the year 2012, kodak was expected to be a world leader in research ans development, working with the Nasa and such.
    Did i hear correctly: "digital printing"?

Anyhow, let's wish them luck.

3. Lionel1972

Lionel1972 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A film group sounds good to me. I would name Scott DiSabado at the head of it.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I noticed that Scott DiSabato left Kodak recently to work for Canson. Anyone know who has taken his place in marketing for professional still films?

5. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reorganisation is better then liquidation.

Why the suprise about digital printing and enterprise group BTW? I thought that digital printing (I am not talking consumer inkjet printers) was something that Kodak did rather well.

6. Matthew Wagg

Matthew Wagg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as whoever takes over the film division doens't drop anymore films from their lineup I'll be happy. Or better still they bring back film stocks. Kodachrome being first please. Then E100g. Its not too much to ask is it?

7. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure, Audrey Jonckheer could have absorbed the duty, I am working with her on a Ektar marketing campaign at the moment. I'll ask her tomorrow....

8. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome, not a chance, the dye set for the chemistry is history and it would probably cost *them* about $10+ a roll in re-start costs for the first couple of years alone....and that is if they could sell on average twice as much of it as they did on a yearly average the last 5 years it was around.

9. Matthew Wagg

Matthew Wagg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its worth wishful thinking :smile:

10. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scott did indeed leave Kodak several weeks ago. No word yet on his replacement.

The new lineup is more amenable to spinoffs as I said in my OP.

PE

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What is old is new...

This was largely their structure before jan-2012 when they split film into commercial and consumer groups. After Jan-2012 motion pic went to commercial and "...the old film and photofinishing unit..." went into consumer.

Per old article on how they moved film group around in Jan-12
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE80913I20120110

Now it looks like they mostly rebuilt the Film, Photofinishing and Entertainment group again...

Well I wish them the best, it sure makes it easy to sell off the film arm now, or bear hug all us, hire PE as chief film evangelist...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  12. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic!!!!!

PE

13. Photocyan

Photocyan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The company is organizing its business lines into three operating groups:

Consumer Group, which is to be led by Kodak president Laura Quatela;
    Digital Printing and Enterprise Group, led by Kodak president Philip Faraci; and
    Graphics, Entertainment and Commercial Films Group, led by Brad Kruchten, senior vice president.

Quatela, Faraci and Kruchten are to report directly to Perez.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess that the news could have been much worse....Too bad that Scott left. Hopefully his replacement will be equally as enthusiastic

16. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe. But this isn't where Kodak was supposed to be. Kodak was supposed to be a huge player on the internet with various apps, for example. Instagram comes to mind. That was supposed to be Kodak in 2012.
    Instagram, Hipstamatic, a huge presence on Facebook as a provider of all things photographic.
    Such things.
    Kodak was supposed to be present in each and every mobile phone on the planet. Instead they prefered to giveaway free printers to consumers and they favored self-serve prints in pharamacies across the country. Some ugly plastic booths. Pathetic.
    Leave the whole printing business to epson and concentrate on the real things happening on the planet. Kodak is a goner and instagram is a big player. Can you believe this??

Anyhow, that's it. the past can't be changed. But it's clear that Kodak's death was easily avoidable. The cause of this slow death is about a business philosophy. Perez had his obsolete philosophy and he flushed the whole company down the toilet. And he's still pushing the company where it doesn't belong. Have you seen Kodak's website lately? Pathetic, yes?
    Kodak could have (still can, but won't) consolidate its legendary name by becoming an internet photo sharing player. Flickr should have been purchased by Kodak when it was time. If Kodak was well run, back in the day, Yahoo, Flickr, even Google would be owned by Kodak today. Perez lacked vision and is sitll lacking vision with these pathetic divisions.

Anyhow. Who am I, after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But reorganisation does nothing to address productivity, manufacturing, sales, etc. It usually just changes the reporting structure at the top level and everything else carries on as before.

Sometimes known as re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic!

EDIT: Darn it to heck, it has already been said!

Steve.

18. jayvo86

jayvo86 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be happy if they just kept on making their current film line up.

I was kind of bummed with their still camera chrome line up going away, but I print optically. Since ilfochrome is on it's way out, I wouldn't shoot it anyway.

19. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And reserved seating for the rats in the lifeboats. Recall how smarmy DiSabato was recently in interviews about film in Kodak's "future"?

20. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea who replaced Scott or even if he has been replaced or if his duties have simply been delegated among exisisting personnel, but I do know for a fact that the website is being worked on.

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scott was constrained in what he could say. When I worked at EK, I was told what I could and could not say when talking to "outsiders". Also, Scott was probably in the process of leaving EK. IDK. I wish him well.

PE

22. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm

.... remember, working in R&D we were even told what we could say when talking to EK marketing people.

23. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes Fred, I know that too. In fact, when marketing changed Blix to Bleach Fix, a marketing guy called me to tell me that they all agreed that Blix sounded like a toothpaste name designed for small children. I just about popped a button on that one.

PE

24. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On the contrary, he was very voluable in late 2011 interviews about Kodak and film, though never gave out anything concrete to the media about production figures. We all know what happened in January 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyd1LHD7GOA

http://filmphotographyproject.com/category/tags/scott-disabato

25. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, there are things he might say in an interview and things he might say off the record. I know that is true from my own work experience at EK.

PE

26. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    PE ,

Do you still constrained to what to say or not about Kodak ? Or are you free as a bird , an Lynard Skynard song or Live free or die saying :smile: I must stop writing ,Simon Perezs agents are warning me :smile: