Kodak announces sale of China plant

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Photo Engineer, May 3, 2007.

1. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the Rochester D&C today:

Kodak announed the sale of the plant in China. It was constructed in 1990 and was the newest coating facility built in about 30 years.

A small part of the plant will be retained by Kodak for manufacture of digital products including ink cartridges.

In another report, the NYS Assembly is debating making the sale of tungsten lights illegal.

PE

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Who bought it? Do they intend to keep coating?

3. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was sold to a local Chinese development corporation. The entire article is probably on-line now Nick.

PE

4. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps - but the NYS legislature is completely disfunctional and hasn't created any significant new policy for the state in decades. Don't hold your breath.

Interestingly, I have made a commitment to compact fluorescents in high-consumption applications in our home because it makes financial sense. I've replaced most of the commonly used incandescents, but have been unable to find CFL replacements for a couple of critical applications. There's no point in outlawing current technology until a replacement has been found.

Of course that challenges my own argument - it would be perfectly in keeping with their tradition of incompetence for the NYS legislature to create an impractical and unenforcable law.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  5. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tungsten light issue is an interesting one. It's intended to push people to use compact fluorescent bulbs. But they have mercury in them, that will cause problems in time as people throw them away. As usual, we reel from problem to problem.

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use mostly fluorescents and have several local options for recycling, in which case the mercury is reclaimed and not put into landfill.

Lee

7. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nick;

They are just keeping a small portion of the plant.

PE

9. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good change. Perhaps a small move away from offshoring labor. Does this affect the Lucky Film arrangement at all?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

10. Rolleiflexible

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In NYC they go into the trash and onto barges for shipment to whatever states accept the city's waste for landfill. For every person who bothers to recycle, I am certain that a hundred more put them in the trash.

11. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The recycling of compact flourescents is a problem that is easily solved by attaching a deposit fee to every single one...or better yet, a lower price for a dead lamp's replacement when it's returned to the merchant for recycling. The cost of such a system could be underwritten by a consortium of manufacturers and major resellers in the name of acquiring market share and public relations.

12. Rolleiflexible

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Michael, that's an interesting idea. Another solution is LED-based bulbs, which are still more energy-efficient and lack the disposal problems. But they are more expensive, and Sam Walton hasn't thrown his retail weight behind them, so who knows whether their potential will ever be realized.

13. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Good news for future of film, imo. Let someone with more efficiency (i.e. less overhead) run it for profit.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walmart wants to own the CF market. They do a rebate for recycling program and it gets the lamps recycled AND helps them attain that goal.

Yes, they could do the same thing with LED's. I DESPISE Walmart but they can create any economy of scale they want. Such is their power.

16. Wendel4

Wendel4 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are many communities in America where recycling is seldom used, only used for certain products, or entirely unavailable. It's a lot of cost and organization for small, rural, or poor communities to undertake. NYC can do virtually anything it wants due to infinite resources, but what about Ville Platte Louisiana? Outlawing incandescent bulbs increases the poor's cost of living, and adding a recylcing fee to to the new bulbs makes it worse. It's absolutely true that they'll save electricity, but this is a subtle change that they won't notice as much as ponying up for a single $5-6 lightbulb. It's a complicated problem. My humble 2 cents.

17. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would assume that Kodak sold the building, the real estate, but not the coating lines? Those would be scrapped?

18. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can now by a pack of 6 lamps that replace 60 watt bulbs for about $10. The price will continue to drop. I would expect to see them below a buck a lamp before long.

Small town Amreica shops at Walmart. If Walmart/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/etc. sells replacement packs at a discounted rate when you bring in your old lamps, your concerns can be addressed.

19. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the thread hijack. This should be in the lounge, not this thread.

20. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After Kodak closed its French coating plant in around 2005, a lot of the consumer colour print film coming into the UK was made in Kodak's factory in China. But just recently the "free" Kodak films I received with some processed films and prints was labelled as made in USA and finished in Mexico. So I wonder where Kodak films for the Chinese market will come from. It seems rather stange if they are stopping film production in China because the labour costs there are probably cheaper than in any of the other places they have manufacturing facilties.

21. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would theorize that Kodak needs to keep is primary coating plant operating at near capacity to maximize quality and profit, therefore dividing up film coating between plants in this age of dwindling film sales is unpractical. China will get film coated in USA and finished in Mexico.

22. spark

spark Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The news article has little detail on what's going to happen there, naturally we'd like somebody to keep the coating line going no matter the brand. With the usual Chinese government incentives to hire people and a cheaper corporate bureaucracy the break-even point could be a lot lower than under Kodak control.

23. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that waste issue

Here in Germany we are mad about assorting & recycling which makes us have many, many heaps at home… (just counted 11…)

Untill recently at my place that FL issue was cared for by the community as well as the county. One could wait for the biannual `special waste´ truck to visit the community (which costs were included within the local yearly waste deposit fee) bring it to a central county special waste collecting centre or go to an electrical store and pay about 50cents per tube for delivering it.
    Now there is a federal regulation that all electrical/electronic goods have to be deposited seperately and that the very industry has to pay for it. Now there is at least one collecting point per community, where one can drop (or rather not…) the FL tube in a metal casket.

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which plant are we actually talking about??

To my understanding Kodak bought at least three chinese film manufacturing companies (Era, Aermei, Fuda) besides their cooperation with Lucky.

The plant in question should be the Fuda Photographic Materials Company.

I don’t see any substantial change due to this sale.

25. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I saw how the German system works at Photokina a couple of years ago, different colour bins for different types of rubbish, and every onwe so careful to put things in the correct one.

So you can imagine my amazement to see them all emptied into the same large refuse bags and mixed together:rolleyes:

Ian

26. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The plant in question, as I noted, was not one purchased from anyone. It was built from scratch.

Film will indeed be made in the US or England.

PE