Kodak B&W Reversal processing formulae

Kodak B&W Reversal processing formulae

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian Grant submitted a new resource:

Kodak B&W Reversal processing formulae - Kodak B&W Reversal processing formulae

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This formula will produce less than satisfactory positives.

I wish I could enlighten.

There will be published reversal tips in the upcoming new edition of the Darkroom Cookbook / Anchel

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your logic amazes me. These are well tried and tested Kodak Formulae, the fact that you might not be able to get good results using them is another issue entirely.

The first developer is fairly standard for use with B&W Reversal of stills and Cine film, as are the bleach and clearing bath.

So lets look forward to any revelations or insights there may be in the new Anchell book.

One thing you seem to forget is that B&W reversal processing has been around a long time, plenty of very good reliable information is available from a very wide variety of sources. There are still labs around capable of extremely high quality B&W reversal processing of Cine film, and in the past there were an awful lot more. Some of these labs would typically have been processing as much film per day as you probably process in a month or even possibly year. So what makes you think you or your dr5 process is any better than others.

4. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ian, I can't wait for the rest of your found formulas. (Yes, I remember your post.)

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to agree with Ian. This process has given results that have even been used in Hollywood production, albeit years ago.

PE

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More to come

AutumnJazz, I'm slowly going through what I have with me, soon I'll post a number of alternative first developers some with and some without silver solvents (thiosulphate/thiocyanate), along with alternative bleaches (that's alternatives to permanganate/bichromate).

For instance one first developer system is rather like using Dr Beers Variable Contrast print developer, the balance of Hydroquinone/metol is varied to increase or decrease the contrast of the final positive.

Plus a variety of Second developers & alternatives to enable users to produce a whole range of different tones and colours in the final positives. This will enable skilled users to have far more control over their output than could ever be possible using a commercial laboratory.

Also ways to improve or modify commercially processed positives. Before dr5 takes offence at that I'm talking about how to improve under or over exposed positives or change image tone & colour on Black & White home processed, Scala, dr5 or any other commercial B&W positives.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  7. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

And you can't because?

8. aca91

aca91 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It has been a long time since the last answer to this post, so maybe it is too dated. Anyhow, some time ago I made a project, and I developed cine in my darkroom thanks to help from members of APUG. The main problem was that in my country, some chemicals (metol for example) are impossible to find. I managed to complete the process by adding 10g of hypo to 1L of Dektol stock (1st developer) for 8m at 20Cº using TRI-X (super 8) film. The bleach I used was R-9 (1 L water + Potassium dichromate 9.5g + Sulfuric acid 12ml). I remembered I had problems with a potassium permanganate bleach. As a second developer I used dektol without Hypo. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/82179-no-d94-available-reversal-processing-tri-x-super-8-a-3.html

I know this may not be as technical as I would like it to be, but is one of the most fascinating discoveries I made in my darkroom thanks to APUG. I also believe that I have to give it back some how, and I think that a complete ignorant on chemestry (like me) or a student on a budget (like me) or a third worlder without access to metol (like me) may find this cheap and easy solution helpful.

I Hope someone would read this.

9. filmcarnivore

filmcarnivore Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is awesome. Thanks for posting.

10. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format

Awesome indeed. I followed your earlier link with great interest because I want to start processing super 8 film myself. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to using your formula as a starting point. It's great to know that you have used it, that it works, and you've passed it on to the APUG community.