Kodak: Back on the NYSE

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RattyMouse, Nov 1, 2013.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what of Alaris? Still have not heard much of them.

Ken

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These are the new shares, which to a meaningful extent are held by the former unpaid creditors (e.g. the suppliers and others).

To that extent, I hope the share price continues to rise, so at least some of those unpaid creditors are made at least partially whole.

The former shareholders - including pension plans, employees, individual investors and Wall Street hedge funds?

They got nothing!

As far as Alaris are concerned, you would have to check the UK for any information on its financial status.

I did think though that it was a sign of hope that Kieth Canham recently announced another custom large format film order, that it was slated to be fulfilled by Kodak Alaris, and that the cost was lower than the last order from Eastman Kodak.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most owners of the "old" common stock such as employees and retirees are AFAIK, out in the cold.

PE

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I was referring to a more robust product marketing and visibility presence by now, rather than more financial information. Or at least the beginnings of one. Or just a little more expended energy out of the gate.

After such a vicious storm, maybe their intent for the final few surviving film lines is just to be a quiet caretaker operation. I dunno. I suppose that wouldn't be such a bad thing, given the alternative that leaving them with EK under Perez represented. I wouldn't wish that fate on any company's product lines in any business.

But I guess I did have somewhat higher hopes.

Ken

6. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's early days yet, they need to be careful. They probably wouldn't get a second shot if any big roll out were to flop.

7. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From what I've read, Kodak itself is now basically a printing supply company. That's a big pool, full of mature sharks.
    Our beloved products, (like TRI-X), are in the hands of the retirement fund in the UK. I am glad they are completely separate, because the UK owners can concentrate on that particular market, much like Ilford does.
    I wish them every success.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Our beloved products" make only part of what the pension fund acquired. So actually they have to serve three different markets.

9. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, the two Kodaks are not completely separate. Kodak still makes the film, while Kodak Alaris sells it. Should the new Kodak fail (they still have the same management team :sad: ), then the manufacturing arm of Kodak goes down the drain, leaving Alaris with nothing to sell.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alaris has own manufacturing plants. The only thing at the moment they are dependand on Kodak is the film manufacture. They should be able to do it on their own, though that might not be economic at the Moment.

11. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Until a few years ago they made film in the UK, probably I think where they still make colour paper at Harrow, near London. But the film finishing was done in factories in Nottinghamshire (UK) but those closed about 2006, about the same time as the French and some other non-US Kodak factories closed. But some/all the equipment may have been moved to the Harrow factory. It quite possibly would be feasible for them to still make film there if they had too, the production runs would be much less than in years gone by, so presumably they wouldn't need as much space as in the past. An interesting thought!

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "they still have the same management team"

That is a scary thought. The average employee can get fired for just being late to often, yet they have the same management team?

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Under the present ruling class environment in America today, I tend to think many of Kodak's odds are at the mercy of things outside of its control. As are we all.