Kodak C41, E6 avoiding contamination

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jinx, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jinx

jinx Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I am using the Kodak E6 kit with an Jobo ATL 2. Now I like to do C41.

My question:

To avoid/reduce the risk of contamination which Kodak chemical can I use, and in which tank? I guess the FIX and BLEACH is the same as in E6 but the DEV? Is it better to put in the tank of the 1st Dev or the Color Dev?

thanks

Marc

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think you have to worry too much about contamination between any developer, nor between bleach and fix. I've also put bleach or fix in containers once used for developers without problems. The only restrictions are avoid contaminating the developer and stabilizer. The developer contamination will throw off color balance and whatnot and the stabilizer contamination will effect archival stability of the film.

Bleaches are different, but contamination is not a problem. Fix is the same. I would put C41 developer in the color developer container, or not care.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The E6 reversal bath is the worst possible of all contaminating solutions in either process. It will fog film!

The second worst is the E6 pre-bleach.

PE

4. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This Kodak document for E-6 processing has a chart that recommends how to mix chemicals (both C-41 and E-6) depending on how many seperate mixing tanks you have. For 3 seperate sets of mixing containers it recommends pre-bleach and reversal bath go in one, color and 1st developer in another, bleach and fix in the third.