Kodak Day-load tank - how to?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by eumenius, Jan 28, 2005.

1. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello friends,

recently I have acquired an old day-load 35mm developing tank by Kodak, apparently a nice gift from 1950s, made of bakelite. It has a cassette compartment with a knife, and a two-spiral reel - looks like some kind of odd bulk film loader. It is exactly the same model as (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29993&item=3870017015&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) The question is simple - how on earth should I operate this machine? :smile: I can understand how the film should go there, and how to cut the film and pour in the reagents - but the film end obviously needs to be cut in SOME SPECIAL way, apparently! Does anyone know how to do it with such a thing?

Thanks in forward, and regards from Moscow - Zhenya

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these. It's not that hard, but I don't recommend using it. The potential pitfalls are many. There is a reason they have not been around for decades.

If you do not have a darkroom, you can still process film. But, you need reels and tanks and a changing bag to load them.

Good luck.

Greetings from Texas.

David

3. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YIKES! I just KNEW that I forgot to mention something in the "worst piece of photo junk" thread! These tanks are crap of the highest magnitude...

4. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hehehe, Maybe Zehnya should not use it, but keep it as a collectable. "Bakelite" items of any kind are very desirable among some antiques collectors, and depending on how much he spent on it, it just might show him a profit some day.

cheers

5. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hit the eBay address. Shouldn't have. This is sure to bring back nightmares.

Perhaps there is a "special way" to cut the end of the film. I tried, but couldn't find it, if it did exist.

It was a satisfying Pistol Range Target.

6. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He-he, John, you should have seen our old Soviet tanks, perhaps some ugly replicas of Zeiss design :smile:) That's why I ask you to help me with old good Anscomatic :smile: Well, that piece of bakelite from Kodak costed me about $2 on Moscow flea market, so if everyone says it's a nightmare to use I will just keep it as a rarity :smile: I planned to develop some 35mm while in a trip somewhere in the fields, but I don't shoot much 35mm at all, though. The tank is still an enigma in terms of using it, though the replies were up to time really full of emotions :smile: How much of precious films have been jammed by these bakelite monsters during the last 50 years, that's the question? :smile:

7. Fredrick Van Atta

Fredrick Van Atta Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    image.jpeg image.jpeg day loader003.jpg day loader004.jpg day loader005.jpg day loader006.jpg day loader007.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg