Kodak dismatling an unused film coating building

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by laser, Apr 9, 2013.

1. laser

laser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This marks a sad milepost for those that love film. Kodak is dismantling Building 29 that housed multiple photographic film coating machines that at one time made almost every type of Kodak color and black-and-white film. Motion picture print film was made in the building as recently as 2011. Sadly I am not aware of any photographs of the equipment in the building. Kodak’s only film quality production coating machine will be near-by in Kodak Rochester’s Building 38. I am glad that I was able to thoroughly document the Building 38 coating machine in my book, Making Kodak Film. There is a link on APUG.

You can see from the photographs that there are large holes in the side of Building 29 for installing equipment that are now used for tossing the scrap to the ground. Debris is sorted into piles near the building.

The bad news is that the volume has declined so that the machines are no longer needed. The good news is that Kodak still has a film coating machine. The films made today are the best ever.

Attached Files:

2. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Enough to make me sit down and cry like a baby. I will never forget opening those plastic boxes of Kodachromes if I live to be 100. Remember the smell that wafted out when you lifted the little lid?
    Sad sad day.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can we salvage anything for GEH?

PE

4. noacronym

noacronym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is sad. Kodak was a great company. It's people were second to none. This is a pity. I hate it.

5. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Outside of the office building where I'm working, a building was recently demolished. It was called the King Cat, and it was struggling to survive. One screen, showing an assortment of old and odd films. And then progress came.

Progress comes for many things, including Kodak. Unfortunately, Kodak never was on the ball when it comes to reacting to change.

Here's something that Kodak could do: long term data archival services. Using what material? Film, of course. Kodak, back in the 1960s, built a write-once digital data storage machine for the CIA. (Wired magazine might have the article, I don't remember.) There's all kinds of Government regulations that mandate that corporate data must be accessible for X decades. Kodak could run a long-term storage service, where that data would be written to film and be put in cold storage. That would be an absolute cash cow.

But instead Kodak always has this Alfred E. Neuman-esque "What, me worry?" attitude. Oh, well.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

I saw so many ruins out of the photochemical industry, I guess I won't be touched anymore.

7. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't worry guys, they're making room for a production facility for a brand new product; Kodadigit. Kodak will become a world leader in digit production. All those ones and zeros have to come from somewhere... :-D

San fairy ann,
    kevs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1. :-(

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you think, maybe 30-40 years from now, people who are teenagers today will be lamenting the demolition of one of the last Apple buildings? They'll be talking fondly about their first iPhone or iPod and lamenting how after Steve Jobs died the company was never the same and eventually could not change with the times....

Now I know the analogy is weak, Apple buildings are not where such things are made and iPhones and iPods are not film, but I was just thinking. Funny there was a time when Kodak was so strong, their products so profitable, sales so good, that something like this was never envisioned...

10. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Kodak was still succesful today, wouldn`t they possible dismantle the builiding anyway.
    Remember it was used to make film.

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Perez' parachute just got a little more golden.

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Kodak, hate too see that happen.

Jeff

13. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe they sold the equipment to some former Eastern Block country, so that we'll still be able to get Tmax films once Kodak decided to quit film completely.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What's left of Kodak today?

16. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They got more modern factories already.

17. noacronym

noacronym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The US IS an "eastern bloc" country now. That's half the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  18. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

Geez, you sound digital..

19. noacronym

noacronym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's see... Perez takes over with the stock at 25 clams a share, and now as of today's posted prices is 29¢. Tell me, what is the procedure for getting a failure out of his position? I'm at a loss here..

20. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have to get the board of directors to get off the wacky tabacky.

21. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want to see what's left of a once thriving Kodak plant punch these co-ords into Google Earth:

37deg 43' 45.85" S 144deg 58' 54.65" W

This used to be Kodak Australasia in Melbourne and the attached image is an aerial of it in it's heyday. No doubt Toronto and other cities have a similar story and it happened in these places some years ago. OzJohn KodakAust.jpg

22. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is this the building at the corner of Lake and Ridge? I drove by a few days ago and didn't even think to look.

23. noacronym

noacronym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me, Kodak and Kodak Park, Rochester, New York are nearly wondrous places in some way; some manner of regard. I've never been up there, never will be most likely, and wouldn't want to go in another way. I'm not from up there. Some people belong where they came from and live, so here is where I stay. All that said in the spirit of well-wishing for the company's future. I know it's a horribly cold place to live a life, but you folks sure know how to set a production standard. I hope you don't turn into some sort of software company, or some worthless digital sh-- like that. You do what you do. I highly suggest advertising on the benefits of Kodak Film for permanence. Permanence is the whole point of any photography. A Kodak B&W print properly washed can last a thousand years. Who knows which one of us might be somebody recorded in history for some deed? A Kodak B&W will still bear the testament of perfect recording in several thousand years. That's a great thing. Pretty wild, when you think about it. Somebody needs to get busy. That's about enough of my free job worrying about it. Nowhere herein has been my intent to pursue or force a political view. Somebody up there needs to do something.

24. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got the south Pacific ocean, between New Zealand and Chile. Did they go that far underwater? :wink:

25. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    43.185278,-77.67231

26. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... or

+43° 11' 11.24", -77° 40' 19.57"