Kodak E-6 Bleach

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Chuck Mintz, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Chuck Mintz

Chuck Mintz Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Found out that the 10L bottle now costs over $100. That came from my local dealer and is consistent with that the national guys have on their website. That is a huge price increase. Anyone know what happened?

Chuck

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know 2 things:

1. It can be regenerated and reused a lot more than you may think. That info is on the Kodak web site.

2. I know how to make two substitute bleaches you can mix yourself.

PE

3. Chuck Mintz

Chuck Mintz Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    PE- Would love the formulas. I am transitioning to negatives but have an ongoing project that I am keeping with transparencies. Not sure if I will have enough bleach to get me through. Still curious as to why the price skyrocketed. I have some fear it is a mistake but one that comes out of my wallet.

Chuck

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a Ferricyanide bleach which requires 2 extra steps (clearing baths) or a Ferric EDTA bleach which is the current E6 bleach. Both work.

The Ferricyanide Bleach is a regular rehal bleach found here on APUG and the clearing bath is a Sodium Sulfite stop with 1 - 2$ Acetic Acid.

The EDTA bleach is Ferric Nitrate + Ammonium Chloride + EDTA. The pH is adjusted to about 6 with Ammonium Hydroxide and Acetic Acid.

As you can see, the Ferri bleach uses more readily available chemistry.

PE