Kodak E-6 Fixer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by AndreasT, Oct 28, 2012.

1. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a bottle of E-6 Fixer to make 3,8L. Can I use it for B&W Paper? If yes what dilution should I take and what time should I use?
    I could test it with film , but if anybody has concrete information that would be great.

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E-6 fixer is a weakish fixer. Most silver is already out of the film in e6 my the time it hits the fixer.

It will work, but not for as many rolls of film as conventional b&w fix.

Take a piece of flashed leader. Drop a drop of fixer on it. Wait for it to clear. this can be all while the lights are on.

Then drop the whole leader bit into a clear container of fresh fix. Note how long it takes for the rest of the flim to match the clear bit.

Fix you film for twice as long as the clearing time. Re test the leader bit after say 5 rolls. The fixer is done for if the clearing time is twice as long as when it was fresh. This is pretty much the same for all fixers.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    1+9 is fine for paper and film I've found. 1+4 for T-Max films.

4. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As far as I know all the silver is present as silver halide in the E6 fixing stage. Whatever was developed by FD and CD will get bleached back to silver bromide and must be dissolved by the fixer. You might argue that color film doesn't contain all that much silver to begin with, but I'd still say that E-6 puts a lot of load on their fixers!

5. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok thanks I will use it. Just to be save I will test it with paper first.