Kodak E6 first developper

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by luisbravopereira, Sep 27, 2010.

1. luisbravopereira

luisbravopereira Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, everybody! This is my first Thread here in APUG!

I have received recently an almost complete Kodak E6, 6 step, 5 liters developing kit... "almost", because the only missing bottle is the first developer!!!
    Any tips about how to replace the first developer? I have read somewhere that the first developer is basically a B&W developer, but developing at 38 ºC and being the most critical step, I do not believe that I can replace this step with a common Rodinal 20ºC B&W development! Any tips here? or does someone here know a formula to make the first developer? The "Darkroom cookbook" book formulas only include B&W developing, no color photography!!

Cheers

Luis Pereira

2. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably the most closely correct formula for E6 first developer is posted here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/41974-e-6-reality-check-wikipedia-3.html

But, you can experiment with any BW developer. You won't get the same results as with proper first dev, but you'll get a positive image. I've seen this done with stand Rodinal and it gave subdued colors with a slightly yellow cast and not so nice contrast, but not that bad for an experiment...

A BW paper developer with a bit of thiocyanate or thiosulphate added might be a good starting point for experimenting.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to clarify and ammend what I said in that thread.

E6 still requires formalin either in the stabilizer or in a prebleach. One or the other. And, if in the prebleach, then the following solutions must be correct for this prebleach to be properly activated.

PE

4. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just buy some E-6 first developer?
    Fuji Hunt Europe will sell you a bottle of first developer concentrate I have the code for the 4L (makes 20L) it is 944 645

I think they make 1L bottles too.
    Give them a call.
    http://www.fujifilmeurope.be/
    Mark

5. Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is an example of a 4x5 Fuji 160S color negative that was processed in a Jobo 3010 in B&W chemistry (Xtol 1:1) at 68F for 9.75 minutes:

[​IMG]

I wonder how it would look if I substituted the color developer with Xtol and processed as normal C-41 - i.e., 3.25 minutes at 100.4F?

6. luisbravopereira

luisbravopereira Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you guys for your tips... I will try to buy the first developer from Fuji, as suggested by Mark. If they don't sell separately, then I will try to mix some formula as suggested by others... or just use this chemicals to other kind of experimental work!

Cheers

Luis B.

7. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ornano produces E-6 equivalent kits and you can buy each single concentrated bath to make 5 litres of diluted bath. The product you would need is "I 90" which is sold in 1 litre flasks to make 5 litres of diluted bath.

I bought my E-6 chemistry at an eBay shop called Westernphoto (Westernphotonline) they ship abroad, shipping to Portugal is probably expensive though.

Hope this helps
    Fabrizio

8. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kodak sells separate first developer in 10L quantities, its only about $25 here iirc, and thats Australia, and $25 for the starter (but the starter is 200L worth of developer).

I've gotten basically black slides with Rodinal, because the highlights dont clear, overdeveloping or silver solvent is required for that.

If you cant find a first developer to buy, you're better off mixing up one from one of the recipes then using a normal b&w developer.