Kodak Ektapan sheet film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by gma, Mar 11, 2004.

1. gma

gma Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ran across a 75% off sale on 100 sheets of 4x5 Kodak Ektapan with Jan 2004 expiration date. The last time I used a box of Ektapan was 30 years ago and I developed in DK 50 1:1 with good results. Does anyone have any advice for processing with more contemporary developers?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I find I get the best results with Ektapan in less contemporary developers rather than more contemporary ones. I shoot it in 8x10" and I've shot some in 11x14", and I rate it at EI 50 in ABC pyro 1+1+1+7 for 10 min., targeted for contact printing on Azo, which does best with a contrastier neg.

That might produce more grain than you want for 4x5", which I assume you'll be enlarging, so you might try PMK instead. I've also tried Ektapan in D-76 and Acufine, and I find that it really responds well to pyro.

3. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used it in 5x7 and developed in Microdol-x and rated it at 50 like David. Nice film, imo.

lee\c

4. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using Rodinal 1:50 at 14.5 minutes @68F. Often I find I must derate to EI 50 to get the best results but I can't apply that overall as I would get the highlights too hot on other pictures. I develop in a Nikor 4x5 tank so I don't do any n+ or n- developing.