Kodak Endura Premiere in cut sheets a possibility

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Greg Davis, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Many of us cried out when Kodak announced that Supra Endura would only be available in rolls and not cut sheets anymore. I had even written a letter to the CEO, from which I received a phone call from the head of the paper division to try to find a solution, though for just myneeds as an educator. We all assumed the reason was low volume sheet sales and Kodak did not want to bother with us anymore, and Kodak never gave us a reason. A few weeks ago, the Society for Photographic Education held its annual conference and it was attended by a few Kodak reps. We discussed this with them and they explained exactly what had happened.

Kodak and Fuji were outsourcing their cutting operations to one company in North Carolina. I use the word company loosely, because it was actually just one man cutting all the paper and packaging it. He quit. Apparently he tried to sell his business, but nobody bought it,so when he stopped offering his service to them, there was nobody left to do it. Fuji was still set up to cut in-house, but Kodak was not. They have been displeased with the qualities of the Supra Endura VC, thus leading to the optically printable Endura Premiere and they are looking for ways to get it cut and packaged in cut sheets. They recognize our part in supporting them financially by buying their stuff, which we can't do if they don't cut it and package it. There was no word on when it may happen, or even if it was definite, but it is encouraging that they are looking for solutions.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Greg.

Boy does this ever give a good indication of how small the market had become.

I wonder if Ilford could do it for them? Maybe they could trade for time on the 220 finishing machine :smile:.

I think I'm going to pm Simon.

3. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like it!

:cool:

Ken

4. labyrinth photo

labyrinth photo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ilford have been cutting paper in europe, but not for kodak and unfortunately the best qualty stock. it would be good to see kodak cut sheet back on the shelves.

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is potentially great news!

Eh, good as that sounds, shipping it to England and then back, for something relatively large and heavy per value like paper, would add way too much to the cost, I think. But one can dream at least!

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford ship containers of merchandise to their US distributors regularly.

And I may be wrong, but I think the UK is one location that may still have a Kodak coating line (for colour paper?).

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

8. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Rolls are easier to store and safer to ship, and account for most pro lab usage. Even Fuji has reduced their selection of cut sheets while maintaining virtually all roll products. During the recession
    all kinds of mfg companies tried to cut back on "redundant" packaging options. Schools and amateurs
    want cut sheet, so have largely turned to Fuji, who has kept it up to 20X24 in standard papers only.
    Not nice for guys like me who want 30X40 in polyester stock, but that's why I have my own big
    cutting table set up. The big digital printing machines generally have automated XY cutters on board.
    Somone could probably pick up one of these slitters used for a few grand and go into business!

9. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well yeah, Ilford ships paper over here. But in this case, if it's coated in the US, it would have to make two trips more across the pond that it doesn't now. I'm not sure how much that would add to the cost, and I bet they can get it done over here anyway. Of course for Europe it has to go over anyway in rolls, and wouldn't have to come back. It was a thought, but might not add that much to the price. Color paper is already way cheaper than B&W anyway. I could live with it adding, say, 10% to the cost if it meant I could buy Kodak prints-well-optically RA4 paper in sheets again.

10. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another fine example of corporate management doing stupid things to satisfy Wall Street. A repeat of the Quickload/ReadyLoad situation. Kodak had outsourced ReadyLoad production to Polaroid. When Polaroid disappeared, Kodak no longer had an in-house capability to make ReadyLoads, so they were discontinued. Fuji kept selling Quickloads.

I hate outsourcing. I love vertical integration. Hopefully, this

marks the start of a revolution.

11. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be great if cut sheet optical printable endura returns. Ive hoarded a few thousand sheets for now but if it comes back on the market that would be ideal. Fortunately it has a hugely long shelf life.

12. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just received a box of Fuji Crystal Archive and noticed that it was made in the Netherlands and packaged in the UK. So Ilford may be cutting it for them after all. My box of Kodak Endura, from the last batch of cut sheets, is labeled as having been produced in Brazil.