Kodak Gold 200

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Sysygy, May 8, 2010.

1. Sysygy

Sysygy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gold 200 was mentioned in another thread that I did not want to hijack but I wanted to share my thoughts about that film. It has reasonable grain and an interesting and welcoming color pallette. I may like it because it looks how pictures looked as I was growing up (I am 41).

I honestly do not shoot it that often. I can afford "better" films and usually purchase Porta. But I think I am going to shoot more this summer. Especially for less formal or fun events where I want to have a classic or retro look to them.

Attached Files:

2. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nice picture.

I'm a fan of Kodak Gold. I use it sometimes, when I can find it. Usually, all I can find in the realm of consumer color films is Ultramax and Fuji Superia. Whenever I want Kodak Gold, I have to order it from Freestyle unless I'm lucky enough to find it around here

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The gold line of films is very good. I had a lot of fun with the 400 speed this past summer. It prints well up to 11x14 too which is a plus.

4. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've worked for two photographers who used to shoot gold 200/400 ON JOBS(editorial mind you), but they still had the pro-lab D.N.D. them, those photogs are now digital for work, but they still have piles of boxes of contact sheets and negatives from years of shooting these 'consumer' films. I asked one of them if they HAD to shoot film, would they still shoot the cheapy film, "hell ya!!!" was the answer :wink:.

nicholas, I've made some 16x20's(35mm full frame to 16x20 paper) from gold 200(shot @100 and pulled 1/2 stop), and the grain held up nicely. my instructor was asking me if it was from a 6x7, "nope, 35mm expired gold 200" :D)

she started shooting gold after that.

B&H sells gold 200, as well as the 100 speed variant as well. nicely priced, and both are great films IMO

cheers

-Dan

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm impressed by today's films. I think part of that may have been how the "scanner induced grain" that seems to magically appear when you scan color negative film lowered my expectations. Ektar 100 in 35mm can pass for a 4x5 negative at 16x20 but at that point it's down to how sharp your lens is and not the film itself. I'm interested to stick Ektar cut to 110 film in a Minolta 110 SLR and see how that works. So much fun to be had.

6. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've always been a fan of Super Gold 400. Is that the same as Gold 400? It's my favorite color negative film.

Gold 100 was good, but it doesn't seem to be available in Japan anymore :sad:

7. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gold 100 was discontinued as far as I know. I like the Gold films and have picked them up again. They are great old emulsions. Hopefully they won't change or go away soon.

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice...

I don't use Gold as it's $13 a 24 exp roll here !!!

I do, however use Fuji Superia 400, and it's awesome stuff! I tried lots of films for airshow use and Superia came out the winner, mainly price to performance. I don't mind messing round with it a little to get a good result if it's cheap, and it is.

10. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    gold 100 costs $2.10 a roll here. Somebody is making $10.90 extra...

11. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  12. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I need to buy some very soon too.

13. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not me, that's for sure!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sysygy

Sysygy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I went to the supermarket today. The Kodak gold was spread around trying to "fill in" the film area. It looked like they were not planning to refill it. It was a pretty big chain. Stop and Shop in MA.

16. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most of the time the film I see in supermarkets has a thick coating of dust above it.

17. Sysygy

Sysygy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ha HA. I bought a 4 pack today (Gold 200) in CVS and it had about 1/8 inch of dust on it! Shot a few rolls walking around Boston.

18. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just stocked up myself too on Gold 200(my favorite of the 3, rating it @ 125). The two remaining cases from my local wal-mart(they're only carrying fuji films now). Got em for 10% over cost after talking with the store manager :smile:.

-Dan

19. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I always liked Gold 200. I had a huge (1x0.6 m^2) poster of a mountain scene on my wall for four years, it looked great.

Superia always seemed a bit to cool/cold and overdoing the greens to me.

Kodak Gold is hard to find now here in Holland. Not that I look very hard but I never see it in the shops or in the online catalogues. It used to be everywhere.

20. xxloverxx

xxloverxx Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Never been a big user of Gold, but I might give it a go, now that I have 3 cameras to play with.

I can't seem to find Gold 400…

Went to a photo lab today. A cheap one, admittedly, just to have a look around. All Superia. Okay, it was a Fuji minilab…

21. Sysygy

Sysygy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Daniel, how many rolls in a case?

22. patois

patois Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to hate Kodak Gold 200 but it used to be super cheap at Wal*mart. I've gotten ok results with it.

23. Cesium

Cesium Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  24. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gold 200 is an outstanding film and has the advantage of being available just about everywhere. It has noticeably higher saturation than its Portra cousins, and probably a bit more grain. But it is still a very fine grain film with very good sharpness. It also has very wide latitude and is quite forgiving in difficult exposure situations. It seems to stand up to abuse, like poor storage conditions and long times between exposure and development very well, too.

25. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its great for traveling too, and since its a "consumer" film, you don't have to worry about it getting too hot, or not being refrigerated. It was DESIGNED to live in someone's camera bag for a while after purchase, not to sit in a 45F fridge like pro films, til right before use, being released at their 'peak'.

btw, I've found that I can get pretty-reduced grain with Gold 200 by exposing @ 100 or 125, and pulling 1/3 stop in development. also helps to lower contrast a tad as well. 1/3 of a stop ain't much, but it helps believe it or not :smile:.

-Dan

26. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot Super Gold400 and like it very much. :smile:

Attached Files: