KODAK HIE expired, Frozen, Usable?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dbonamo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

I have a chance on buying some Kodak HIE that expired in 2001 but has been frozen since purchase. Any opinions if it would still be usable? I know I have worked with expired film in the past without issues that was frozen but not infrared.

Thanks

2. KPT

KPT Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hie does not last long after the experation date and i wouldnt buy it unless its a dirt cheap deal.

3. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have recently used HIE 3 years out of date that had been kept in the fridge and was happy with the results. It is always a risk especially if you are shooting something important to you or a client. It come down to the amount of money that you are willing to risk on your investment. Could you buy a few rolls to check it out? I bracketed mine at 400/640/1020 asa and developed it at 1+1 for 13 mins in ID11. All negs are printable. I use a red filter and metered through the camera. Good luck.

Cheers
    TEX

4. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it should be usable.

Yes I think it should be usable if frozen when purchased (and purchased when fresh - i.e. not expired).

10-15 years is a ball-park guesstimate before background radiation will raise the fog levels too much.

w.r.t. the longevity of frozen and properly stored HIE, nobody has ever provided documented or traceable evidence to the contrary of my informed guesstimate of 10-15 years (either posted to APUG or elsewhere that I have searched).

Also see here.

regards
    Peter