Kodak Portra 160

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Tim Gray, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. zinzin

zinzin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not at all surprising after the introduction of Portra 400. While it will be slightly different than the previous versions, I am sure it will be a great film.

4. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And we have Ektar 100 as a "new" film, so what really has happened at a time window of a few years, two films (NC and VC) have been transformed a bit - NC is now finer-grained with same saturation as before and became Portra 160, but VC is now replaced with the Ektar. I like Ektar and the fact that the differences in the products are more notable. One neutral -- purposely so -- and one saturated -- purposely so -- medium-speed color neg film is great IMO. I cannot ask for more considering the situation.

Kodak seems to make sane and reasonable decisions instead of acting randomly. And they publish clearly what they do.

The fact is that the current sales of these niche products do not allow for a large selection of almost similar products. It's better to have a clear dedication to good products than just randomly kill products without thinking about the whole portfolio.

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Subjectively, I've found the colour rendition and saturation of Portra 160VC more flexible compared to Ektar 100.

Tom

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well it sounds good. Have to try it!

Jeff

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least they're still making film we have to be thankful for small mercies, I was in my local pro dealers shop yesterday and he only has a couple of dozen rolls of Fuji Pro film in stock, he tells me he doesn't stock Kodak films at all any more because they're too expensive, and most of his customers don't shoot film anyway. :mad:

8. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree. I prefer Portra's colors (any of them) to Ektar for many subjects. On the other hand, my color goes through the scanning route, so I'm don't rely on traditional printing materials for my contrast and saturation. So I'm ok with 160NC or the new 160 (finer grain!).

I wonder if Portra 800 will get a grain makeover too?

9. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It may. These new films seem to be announced when the old version has only a couple months of supply left. If there is to be a new Portra 800, it may take a while if the old stock moves slowly off shelves.

10. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also, it's been announced that this stuff will be available in 4x5 and 8x10, and custom sizes through Canham. That's good I guess :smile:

11. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. DarkMagic

DarkMagic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, then its offiocial. NC/VC are discontinued, history etc and a new compact range are her. I have used the 400 for a while, great film. Il guess Kodak have given us a winner here.

Much easyer to make profit with a few really good products tha a big range newcomers need months to understand.

The drawback with starting shooting film, is all the question about what film suit the user best. Many newbees have asked me if the really need to test all the films on the market.

13. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So we've lost 160NC and 160VC. No surprise, after what Kodak did with the 400 speed Portra films, but still a disappointment. It remains to be seen how much farther Kodak will carry the one-size-fits-all philosophy in the future.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Humm no 8X10 sheet size as far as I can tell! Didn't Kodak stop all manufacture of sheet film larger than 4X5?

16. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    First of all, there's already a thread on this in the Product Availability forum. Secondly, on Kodak's web page (the Q&A page) it states that it will be available in 35mm, 120, 220, 4x5, and 8x10. In one press release, it was also mentioned it would be available in other sizes from Canham.

18. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    British Journal of Photography:

"The new Kodak Professional Portra 160 film will be available in 35mm, 120/220, 4x5 and 8x10 sheet format from March. It will also be sold, via Canham Cameras, in larger formats.

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...odak-relaunches-portra-160-film#ixzz1Ec7XAnFg
    Subscribe to BJP and save money. Click here to save 29% today."

19. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, I see. Interesting that they don't mention 8x10 in the tech pub. So, maybe 8x10 (and larger) sheets are now special order only via Canham?

20. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I actually don't see 4x5 mentioned in the tech sheet. Just 'Sheets' and that they will come in 10-sheet boxes. Presumably they are referring to both 4x5 and 8x10.

Look on this page:

http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/160QA.jhtml?pq-path=2301065

And for those who are unwilling to click:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  21. vyshemirsky

vyshemirsky Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  22. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I noticed the catalog number for 8x10, but not sure what it means at this time. BTW, the tech pub mentions 4x5 sheets on pages 3 and 4, in the sections for "Replenishment and Wash Rates" and "Print Grain Index". No corresponding mention of 8x10. I guess we'll see how it goes.

23. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two threads merged, and posted in the Product Availability area.

24. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Kodak has not discontinued all 8x10 sheet film. They did recently stop selling 8x10 Tmax 400 as a regular stocked item, but offer it as a special order item.

25. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quit kvetching and just buy some!

26. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, sir! I intend to get some of the 8x10 size for a new project coming up. I thought about using the 400 speed, but that would require smaller apertures than I wanted, so now that this was announced I can just wait a few weeks and get this 160 speed instead.