Kodak Retinette 1B Rangefinder Repair

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Born2Late, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a recently acquired a Kodak Retinette 1B Rangefinder camera which is in reasonably good condition and certainly usable but it has one issue though. The selenium light meter reads too bright and indicates a bit more than 2 stops of change for each stop in actual illumination change.

There is an adjustable resistor under the top cover which I have tried adjusting. It does move the needle position, but not enough and the other issue remains as well.

Can anyone advise me of the possible cause and / or solution?

Thanks.

2. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can you compensate by simply adjusting the ISO setting to account for the 2 stops? These cameras have excellent Reomar lenses by the way. They're triplets, but very sharp and make nice photos.

3. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No because regardless of film speed the needle deflection is always twice what it should for the change in actual illumination. If the light changes by 1 stop, you have to change the shutter speed or aperture by 2 stops to center the needle again. If the light changes 2 stops, then you must adjust 4 stops.

4. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I suspect the selenium cell to be defective. Camerapedia says the meter was made by Gossen. Only circuit testing will determine if it is the cell or support electronics or both.