Kodak Sale Near

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RattyMouse, Feb 27, 2013.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think this means much. Here in Rochester there have been rumors only of a buyer. I'll believe it when I see it.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Personalized Imaging" includes the sale and distribution of still film and colour paper.

They plan on retaining manufacture of still film and colour paper, as well as the manufacture, sale and distribution of motion picture film.

4. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Anyone care to comment on whether the reinstatement of E6 films is a technical possibility for any new buyer? I'm not going to dwell on the economics, but wonder if the equipment still exists and is serviceable if the will was there.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E-6 film manufacture does not need any other machinery than any other multi-layer (as C-41 film) film manufacture.

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is/was quite a bit of specialized chemistry (sensitizers, dye couplers, ...) necessary for each E6 product which may have been discontinued after (or before?) Kodak dumped their E6 line of products.

7. NolanGalbreath

NolanGalbreath Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fuji still makes E6. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but the chemicals are out there somewhere.

That said, I still doubt kodak will restart making E6. There's a reason why they stopped in the first place. Then again, I can't even remotely claim to have any knowledge of the subject other than speculation, so...

8. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That doesn't mean that Fuji's emulsions use the same sensitizers or dyes as Kodak does, note that their characteristics are quite different, and also don't forget that patents exist on many of these compounds to prevent copycat products. Add to that the fact that Fuji might well synthesize some of these compounds specifically for their own product line with no intention to jump start competitors.

9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    even without competitors Fuji is raping their own E6 line.

10. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What????

11. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmm, let's see. Fuji still makes Velvia 50 and 100, and Provia 100F and 400X in 35mm and 120. I'm quite happy with Velvia 100 and Provia 100F - doing an experiment now pushing a roll of Provia 100F to 320. Why? Because I can. :smile:

12. Tebbiebear

Tebbiebear Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I think he means that they have discontinued Sensia and Astia. Which does suck, but if there was a sustainable market for fuji to make them they would still be made.

13. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And Velvia 50 in 4x5. Which was the very film that put Kodak E6 in trouble, according to the internet.

14. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very true, don't lose sight of the fact company s exist to make a profit for the benefit of their shareholders, not the convenience of their customers.

15. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Fuji spokesman was quoted here saying that they are not opposed to bringing back canceled films and he considered Astia their best ever slide film and its lack of success was due to a marketing failure. I agree. Absolutely beautiful film. But Fuji pioneered over the top color saturation in slide film and the market no longer seemed to appreciate realistic color and moderate contrast.