Kodak SO-297 'Test' film?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by JohnMilleker, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JohnMilleker

JohnMilleker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello everyone, I just won 1000' of Kodak SO-297 film. The auction description said that this is 'Camera Test Film'. The can also states 'No Conforming Film' for 'Camera Test Purposes Only'. Right there I'm thinking it might be a can of junk stock, maybe just a roll of film without any emulsion. Who knows.

In a Kodak document, I see that SO-297 is 'fogged'. And it IS stored in a light tight, sealed container. So hey, maybe it can take an image anyway. Either way, it should be fun to test out.

Does anyone have any information or experience with the Kodak Special Order 297 stock?

Thanks!
    -John

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds quite interesting!

3. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could always call kodak if someone here doesn't come up with an answer..........1-(800)-242-2424 Opt. 19

4. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Scratch Test Leader", says Kodak website. Maybe it has an emulsion, to make it scratch like real film, and maybe it's fogged, but I would bet it's also processed. Can't be sure though.

5. AnalogueNewbie

AnalogueNewbie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. JohnMilleker

JohnMilleker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone, I finally had a chance to mess around with the film. My first roll was shot at ISO 100, stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 and minus overexposure worked fine. Realizing that this stuff was real film I figured that it is 'Vision3' and exposed a second roll for ISO 500.

Looks great in black & white, orange cast to the base. Remjet came off fine in the process - to a point. Development removed a good 95%, stop and fixer removed some, a sponge during drying removed the rest. Tiny Remjet particles in my stop and fix ruined them, didn't try to strain - just mixed up a fresh batch. I'm going to try to work with a few homemade stop bath recipes to see if I can get near 100% removal at that stage. I hate to mix up one-shot fixer but will if I need to.

I'm not going to mess with it in a color process until I can get remjet removal down. I know I can strip it in the dark but if I needed to jump through hoops for that I'll stick to Black & White. Though I figure a strainer would work fine, the particles are tiny.. That may be the next test.

'Fogged' appears that there is a minimal etching to the base, almost a frosted look. It scans fine, I haven't enlarged from it yet.

7. Bwright

Bwright Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    @JohnMilleker

I know this post is old. But it made me curious... Are there any edge markings on the film? All Kodak motion films have edge marking dictation what master roll it came from as well as where in the roll they were cut from. Do you still have the negatives?