Kodak technical Pan

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by troutmask, Nov 9, 2006.

1. troutmask

troutmask Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just got 50 sheets of Kodak technical Pan. Kodak say develop 8 mins in Technadol, which I don't have and i don't think is made anymore.
    Any suggestions, I presently use Perceptol and ADOX R 09 (more or less Rodinal)

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a high contrast film, and Technidol brings it down to normal contrast. Don't use Rodinal. You might give Perceptol, maybe 1:3, minimal agitation, a try, since you have it on hand, but you're probably better off with something like POTA or SPUR.

3. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

David, I'm curious about the 'No Rodinal' comment. Altho it is not what I've used, I've seen a couple of photogs use it successfully.

Personally, I like Tech Pan for its ability to make N+4 or more and for its red sensitivity. I used a POTA-like developer that was so weak it wouldn't image any film except TP. I think developing TP for normal development is a waste. YMMV.

4. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need a low contrast developer for this film. These have either Phenidone used alone or with a small amount of hydroquinone. Ordinary developers will not work as the contrast is too high. Google on the following formulas; Burton, Collins, Delagi, H&W Control, HFD-301, Hodes Low Gamma, Kodak D-78 Modified, Perfection XR-1, POTA Extended Range, SD-2415, T/O XDR-4, TDLC-3.

5. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I suppose in some situations Rodinal might work with Tech Pan, maybe 1:100 stand development, but unless one has a particular addiction to Rodinal, it's not exactly a compensating developer of the sort that makes it easy to get normal contrast with Tech Pan.

7. szazs

szazs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Formulary (www.photoformulary.com) has the answers you are looking for. Don't waste precious film (!!!), time and images barking around in the dark (well...) when they have you covered on this. Plus they know a hell of a lot, might have some ideas you haven't thought of and are really friendly people to boot!

8. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Last year I came into some Tech Pan in 120 format. I sold off a bunch of it and before selling it I tested a roll to make sure it was good. I developed it in D23, but to the D23, I added some Borax (I forget how much, but it wasn't much). The photos turned out very nice with good shadow detail, good sharpness and not too contrasty.

cheers

9. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

I recently developed a roll of the microfilm Adox CMS 20 exposed at EI 12 in Rodinal 1:100 10min 68F.It was a little underexposed but printed well on grade 3.
    As a first test for Tech Pan in RO9 I suggest EI 10 and 12min in the 1:100 68F.

10. Lee Hamiel

Lee Hamiel Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Troutmask,

Try 10 minutes in C-41 developer.

Neal Wydra

12. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might save the Tech Pan for those shots where you want to boost the contrast without the shortcomings of pushing normal film. Developed for high contrast (I usually use print developer) it is great for photographing clouds and other low contrast subjects.

13. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

There exists a published recommendation and procedure for Tech Pan in Rodinal by a Kodak consultant
    Mark

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Weldon

Weldon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like others have said, many developers will work with TP. I personally like Rodinal but then I like Rodinal for everything. What has always shocked me is people looking for a developer to reduce contrast with TP. What is the point of shooting it if you don't want a high contrast film?

16. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

For the non-existent grain.

17. troutmask

troutmask Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    High Contrast

I got the film for this very reason (and it was only a fiver for 50 sheets!) so I think I will stick with the Rodinal and take some pictures of clouds!!!
    Hope the sky is interesting tommorrow.

18. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've processed Tech Pan in Rodinal at 1:300 for 13 1/2 minutes at 70F. The first roll looked good, but the negatives were thin on the second roll.

I think I underagitated the second roll, so I'll keep that in mind for my next roll.

19. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot TP when I want high contrast, non-existent grain and very high acutance.

If I want normal pictorial contrast, fine grain and high acutance I generally shoot TMax-100.

20. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  22. troutmask

troutmask Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    pounds not dollers, still a bargain. I need a UK supplier. It was sold by a guy from Ilford who also asked the same for a box of 25 Ilford sheet film. I got the feeling he didn't know a lot about sheet fim and even less about Kodak. Not even sure why an Ilford rep. was selling old Kodak film!
    I have got my hands on one bottle which makes 600ml I think I should be able to tray process 3 + films. No instructions with the bottle of Technidol so looking around for suggestion.
    I have been told that the film can be usd for some really detailed portrait work. I am preparing a documentary piece on a local area and hope to photograph a few characters in there natural setting (a bar!). Craggy faced lot, think this film will be ideal?

23. Lee Hamiel

Lee Hamiel Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  24. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tech Pan can enhance character lines. However, when photographing people, it might be better to use a film with which you are familiar. The right light, and perhaps a little extra development, should suffice. Save the Tech Pan for other subjects.

25. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that was fun, I just ran a test roll, nearly perfect look.

First time I have souped film by hand in at least 8 years, first time in 16 years for Techpan. My temps were dead on, did it in the sink w/ Technidol. Even had to stop bath with regular water.

The development looks good, no streaks, tonal range better than expected. But...as I was loading the film, I noticed the back felt a little rough, kind of strange I thought. I have scanned a couple and they are covered with white spots on some negs. Then the film is just plain dirty, probably need to get a proper film washer and use stop bath next time.

I shot it exclusively with an M6, 28mm 2.0 & 50mm 1.4 aspheric lenses, They are stellar in sharpness and tonal range. The grain is pretty much non-exsistant, kind of spooky like.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  26. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about using POTA developer:

Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 30 g
    Phenidone 1.5 g
    Cold water to make 1L

Use undilluted

Development time 6-12 mins.

This is a low contrast fine grain film developer and was recommended for Technical Pan