Kodak Tmax 8x10, 400 and 100, discontinued.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Mahler_one, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

I understand that many here will be incredulous. However, I went to the web site of a company that sells 8x10 Kodak film, and was greeted with the news that Kodak 8x10 TMax 400 and 100 film had been discontinued immediately. I called Kodak, and the gentleman with whom I spoke called individuals in Kodak Corporate who confirmed that indeed, in 8x10 sizes, both Kodak Tmax 400 and 100 will no longer be manufactured. Such films will be available in 4x5 sheets. Thus, the only 8x10 Kodak black and white film that will be offered on a regular basis will be TriX and ONLY if the demand for such film continues. One can only hope that Ilford will continue to make their excellent 8x10 HP5, FP4, and Delta 100.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  2. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A sad day to see this happen. 8x10 TMY has been my most used film and will until it is all gone.
    Kodak's web shop does not show it, only up to 4x5 but i did not find any formal discontinuation notice.

3. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would have figured TMY would be the last film standing. It's strange to me that they will be coating TXP and not TMY. Isn't 8x10 and 4x5 cut from the same roll?

4. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am very sorry to hear this. These are hard times to be a film user.

-Laura

5. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed. I hope this turns out to be incorrect info. (No offense to the original poster)

6. Barry S

Barry S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kodak shot themselves in the foot when they switched to 10 sheet packaging for 8x10 b&w films. A lot of amateurs dropped Kodak 8x10 b&w film because of the inconvenient packaging and high price.

7. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just confirmed that with Pete at Kodak Professional Products (Ext. 19). Kodak has also just discontinued TMX in 5x7, where 320TXP will be the only film available as a stock item.

It doesn't seem like the 10-sheet boxes of 8x10 were to blame, since 5x7 TMX continued to be packaged in 50-sheet boxes, to no apparent avail.

8. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, but I see no surprise whatsoever in this announcement. No foot-shooting here at all. Just Kodak continuing to move toward its brave new world.

Go Kodak Packaging! (See here for an explanation in the section titled "A new company.")

Ken

9. squinonescolon

squinonescolon Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So if you had to pick up the last film standing for Kodak what would it be? I vote trix-400 in 35mm and next to last txp in 4x5. Also, ilford would be the last manufacturer of film standing right?
    Steven

10. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Especially after reading the link Ken posted above.

I've shot mostly Kodak/Fuji, so have been out of the Ilford "loop": did they go thru a reorganization, and is the group producing film strictly focused on film and related items? If so, I'd say they are likely to the the last ones standing (in which case there's a good argument for switching to them sooner, rather than later, to give the best shot at someone left standing).

11. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think there would be just one or two last stading film at Kodak. They can't keep production with just one or two film types.
    My guess is that there will be a few B&W film types and formats and the same for Color when the plug is pulled for the final run.

12. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh man... Sorry for 8x10 shooters. I sure hope the 4x5 Tmax remains safe and in 50 sheet packs.

13. Bundesphotograph

Bundesphotograph Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bye,bye Kodak!
    Hello Adox!
    The new ADOX Pan 400 will be available as 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 next year.
    Tri-X sheet film isn't available in Europa anyway.
    So,who cares?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rubenmg

rubenmg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two years ago I made my last purchase from Kodak. I'm sorry, but I think Kodak is no longer a photographic company and thought that the only thing that my money was used to dismantle the film production.

And I started using Ilford films and I think it's the best I could do. Kodak is just a name ...

16. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does no good to bash Kodak -- they've done a lot for a long time, and they continue to do a ton for us now (I shoot mostly 35mm and 120 but also have 4x5 and 8x10 cameras).

I'm grateful to them for their wonderful, first-rate quality products. Has anyone done any R&D to produce a film like TMY-2 in the past decade?

With respect to Bundesphotograph, and to answer his question -- I care, for one.

17. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, there are at least 2 retailers in the UK and 2 in Germany that sell Tri-X in sheets (4x5).

18. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do care but don't care much for your arrogance.
    You don't really believe that the quality from the new Adox pan 400 will be comparable to Kodak's first rate Q&A do you?
    Not bashing Adox and Mirko, i will most likely try to keep my now precious stock of TMY going as long as i can shooting Adox Pan 400 in the future.

19. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had been thinking of getting a 8x10, will put that on hold and stick with 4x5 since it will probably be around longer than 8x10. I've got plenty of 4x5 in the freezer.

20. Bundesphotograph

Bundesphotograph Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes,but no 8x10!
    There is no Kodak 8x10 bw-sheet film available in Europe now.

21. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have mixed feelings on this. Even though I really like T-max film, and shot quite a bit of T-max 8x10, I never shelled out the six-bucks a piece for new film. They priced it out of my league.

22. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maco, Silverprint and Ag-Photographic sell TMX and TMY2 in 8x10. Fotoimpex sells TMX in 8x10. All of them sell Tri-X in 4x5.

23. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak's CEO has been telling us this for years now. Unfortunately, many here simply refuse to listen to him.

Colin is correct. It really does no good to bash Kodak. But it also does no good to praise them, either. Their long-term decision to get out of the photography market is absolute and unwavering. They - or he - see their future elsewhere. At this stage perhaps the best we can do regarding Kodak is to just give them an honestly sincere "Thanks for the memories..." At least until we reconvene this topic again in a few months for the next scheduled round.

So did anyone else notice that Kodak Plus-X film has now been relegated to also-ran status on Kodak's Professional Black & White Films webpage?

It's now listed way down at the bottom under the heading "Other Black and White Films" along with T-MAX P3200, and now merits only two lonely sentences of product information description. It's also conspicuously missing from the "Traditional" black & white films section of Kodak's online store - as is P3200 from the "T-Max" section.

I wonder why that is?

Maybe it's Kodak's way of trying to sell more of it?

Ken

24. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Foma 400 has just been released in sheet films : 4x5 AND 8x10 with Foma prices and good quality !

25. jpberger

jpberger Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    hold on a second here-- I recall reading that kodak was moving the larger than 4x5 film to special order system via canham camera (http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilm.html) and others, so discontinued is a bit of a misnomer no?

26. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I spoke both to Kodak and Canham at Photokina and my impression was that Kodak was looking for ways to keep the product in the channel but without using Kodaks worldwide distribution system (which seems very complex and costly, maybe too costly to handle products with lower volumes) . My impression was it will be made available through Canham. It´s just a matter of organizing group purchases whereas we would certainly be a member of the group and if others join in (which I am sure they will) things might be even better in the end.

Just my 2c. I can´t speak for Kodak.

Mirko