Kodak Tri-X bulk roll

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by micwag2, Jun 19, 2013.

1. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not selling this but I ran across this and thought of the folks here at APUG. Bulk rolls of Tri-X 400 with 04/2013 expiration with more than 10 available for $50 on eBay! I snagged one this morning and inquired how many this person had left. When I get an answer I'll update the post. Here's a link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-400TX-TRIX-Bulk-Roll-100ft-film-Black-White-400-ISO-/321146151037 Again, this is not my listing! If this posted in the wrong place or is not within APUG rules the moderators can do with it what they want. Just sharing the information to benefit members.

2. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great price! Thanks for posting!

3. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, nice deal.
    He's only got in posting to US, so I've had to ask if he'd send overseas for me...

4. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bought 2... it says the proceeds fund a high school, Im assuming they (sadly) dumped their darkroom??

5. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    great price indeed.

thanks

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FYI, offers at $45 are accepted, I just got two.

7. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    2 here also.

Man, I'm starting to hoard.

8. gilmanb

gilmanb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bulk Buying Film?

Hi All,

I saw that you're interested in 100' rolls of tri-x etc. I've recently negotiated a deal with my supplier of film/chems to bulk buy 35, 120, 4x5, 8x10, 100' rolls of color and B&W. They're offering me a 5% discount over MSRP on a 15k USD order. PM me if this is interesting. As an example a 100' roll of 35mm TX 400 new would be ~$61. I know that's a >10% more than the ebay link but this stuff is brand new direct from Kodak.

Best,

-Brian

9. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a roll, to go with the Kentmere BW and Porter's C 41 and Fuji C 41 and ... well, the freezer looks like an old fashioned photo store.

10. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Everyone is welcome! I couldn't resist letting everyone know.

11. NDKodak

NDKodak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I grabbed 1 roll as well hard to pass up at that price. Sellers Ebay said 2 rolls are still available after my purchase.

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At $45 a 100ft roll expired roll, you can get 18-20 rolls of 36exp out of it. 18rolls = $2.50 each, 20rolls = $2.25

Freestyle has pre-rolled arista premium at $2.89 a rolls of 36exp. $0.39 to $0.64 more expensive or 18 rolls for $52.02, 20 rolls at $57.80, a difference of $7.02 to $12.80.

Shipping is $5.80 for ebay seller, and $7.99 for freestyle, a difference of $2.19.

Pros of freestyle? fresh dated film with guarantee that it was stored correctly, saves you time from reloading, saves you buying re-loadable cassettes, and very low chances of getting your film scratched (if your reusing often and your felt has deteriorated). Plus you can usually get a 37th frame out, over 18-20 rolls and you got another free half a roll or so.

13. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    All gone.....2500 feet a film gone like that....

14. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Tri-X" crudely written on a scrap of masking tape stuck on a bulk roll is way cooler than rolls of.....Arista? What the heck is Arista? ;-)

Or:

"But this one goes to 11..."

15. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All gone and probably bought by members here! Wife sent me a message that my roll arrived today. Can't wait to load it up!

16. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be thrown into our little film dorm freezers! I hope I have room. Guess time to shoot more... :smile:

17. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha :smile: to each his own I guess. When it's in the camera no one sees it anyway. Arista premium is the last of tri-x, once freestyle finishes what they have Kodak won't supply it to them anymore. Ah also I forgot to mention dx-coded. I've rolled tons of film by hand and with bulk loaders, sometimes when the prices are this close it's just not worth the hassle, cleaning felt, taping, cranking, cutting leaders, and labeling.

18. newtorf

newtorf Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I almost clicked the button to buy 10 rolls yesterday when I saw this post, but then I remembered that my freezer was full and there were already several bricks of films sitting outside of the freezer waiting for space...

19. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Citation please.

s-a

20. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    S-A if you call FS they will confirm they will no longer carry the US supplied Arista Premium (aka Tri-X). Though when its all gone, I suppose it can be re-produced by say a company in UK or Japan, etc...

22. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be clarified that this is specifically about arista premium as a private label of Tri-X and not 400tx itself. The AP thing is old news anyway, they announced it sometime last year.

23. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea I think tri-x will be around as long as Kodak is, and probably even after in some form, as it's one of the most loved films that has ever been produced. Just this arista premium version won't be, a logical move by Kodak, as it's half the price of kodaks official rolls, but a terrible thing for people and programs that depend on these lower prices. My film and darkroom budget hasn't increased for the classes I teach in the last 3 years, while these costs have gone up 30%. When the time comes I guess the students will learn on something like foma (bah!).

24. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! I was surprised to see "Arista premium is the last of tri-x..." in your earlier post upthread. Wondered if I had missed the apocalypse.

s-a