Kodak Tri-x Price Drops

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Nikanon, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  2. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's nice to hear, maybe they got wind of the other thread whingeing about price rises?

The 100' rolls are still $100, 33% more than TMY and 66% over HP5+

(meanwhile, not 5 seconds ago, an auction finished on the 'bay, a 100' roll of TXP from 1986 went for the same price as brand new HP5+. Some people sure do loves their Tri-X, new or old...)

3. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And my 100 dollars are still in my wallet, where they're going to stay.

4. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think it may have been that their price of $4.79 topped HP5 at $4.75, so they realized that wasn't good if people may as well begin to compare them more closely if they cost the same. I just don't see the value in bulk loading.

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your right, at these prices for bulk rolls. Use to be able to save a lot more and was worthwhile.

6. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One advantage bulk loading does have is the ability to load less than 36 frames. I have a hard time finishing up a roll of 36 in a day or on the same subject so I load 20 frames in my reloadable Nikon cassettes and find that to be good economy.

7. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got a couple rolls from Amazon last week at $70 per 100'. Free 2 day delivery for Prime members, and probably free regular delivery anyway. 2016 expiry.

8. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I remember when they were $17. Sure do miss that.

9. NDKodak

NDKodak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I remember when you could by Kodak films and chemicals at the local Kmart store.

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as we are strolling down memory lane, remember when Freestyle store brand film was made by Ilford and was really FP4 and HP5? THOSE were the good old days of bulk loading! For a while later they had Delta 100 and 400 for discount prices under store brand too. I have an old roll of that (poorly stored and defunct now, I actually got out of photography for more than a decade and forgot about it.)

11. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I was enjoying their Arista Premium at 2.69$ a roll until that went away.. Having Tri-x so cheap was incredible with my shooting habits. I just spent $439 for 100 rolls of Tri-x for an upcoming trip, when it used to be $269 for the premium!

12. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I grew up on Tri-X and honestly the only thing keeping me from using it in now my currently multiformat life is that it's just not available in 35mm, 120 and 4x5, not to mention 5x7 eventually. :sad:

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well it wasn't exactly alike when you could get it in all those sizes. Tri-X has a grain peculiar to 35mm. It "fits" 35mm with its grain and sharpness.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't get it, why would you try to make three totally different formats look similar when they are already so different anyway?

16. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That, sir or madam, is a deeply admirable username you've got there.

Well, it's still with us in 35mm and 120, and TXP is a likable "cousin" in 4x5. But as a preferential 5x7 shooter, yeah, I feel your pain in that respect.

-NT

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You must do a lot of shooting!:smile: I hardly do 10 rolls in 6 months.

Jeff

18. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You guys are lucky 100 foot is closer to 100% dearer (than HP5+) here @ 110.30 GBP (HP5+ @60.20GBP)

Bulk is supposed to be cheaper as cassettes and finishing machine time cost money. If that reflected Kodaks manufacturing their tabular film bulk would be pro rata with 135... That it is not means it is eye gouging.

Not a problem for me never bought any 35mm Trix never going to.

Note

-I do use 5222 cause the GBP for 400 foot of the cine is not much more than the GBP for 100 foot of trix.
    -I did use Kchrome25 cause I liked the NG colour shots of four corners USA when it was stopped switched to Velvia.

19. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think all film should be infrared and an infrared cut-off filter used to make it regular film. :D

20. sirimiri

sirimiri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember (too) when Freestyle had Neopan 400 in their stock of house-branded film. Ah, to get Neopan for that price was great.

21. newtorf

newtorf Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I still have several hundred feet of Tri-X/Arista Premium in my freezer. Will take some time to shoot them all. :smile:

22. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Honestly, film isn't my problem. Gas prices to go shoot it--THAT'S the problem.

23. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leica tried that with their first digital M8. Not too many leicaphiles were happy about having to buy IR-cut filters for all of their lenses (but then again, a lot of people spend good money on removing the IR filter from their dslrs, so maybe it's not such a bad thing).

24. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    People buy Leica's? How many cameras do Warren Buffet and Bill Gates need? What's a digital camera? DSLR? Your profile says you're from rAdelaide. I thought that was in Australia and that they spoke English there. Sorry, no understand.:D

25. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the curves, not the grain :smile: Plus I only have so much time to mess around and I'm compromising on HP5+. I may go grab a couple rolls of Tri-X 35mm and some D76 for old times' sake, though!

26. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm planning to get a Leica, M3 in particular with some ancient glass. It's cheaper than LF and I can take photos of moving objects :smile:

Back on topic, thanks for the tip off, I just bought some Trix in 35mm and 120 on freestyle.