Kodak Vericolor 5072

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by cooltouch, Oct 31, 2009.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On what amounts to a curious whim, I bought a bulk roll of Vericolor 5072 off eBay yesterday -- aka SO-279. It's been frozen since 2004, and the seller claims it's still fine (touch wood). It intrigued me because it's C-41 process slide film. One comment from the seller states: "Process KODAK VERICOLOR Slide Film in KODAK FLEXICOLOR Chemicals for ProcessC-41." I don't know beans about C-41 chemistry, so I'm hoping that "FLexicolor" isn't some sort of exotic formulation requiring special procedures. I'm hoping I can just drop the rolls off at my regular processor, and have them develop the film only -- no prints.

I'm also curious as to what I might expect. It sounds as if this film was intended for various sorts of copying purposes, which suggests to me that it's probably a low-contrast emulsion, but I'd be curious as to what any of you who have used it think of it.

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have print film. You take negatives and duplicate them using the correct filtration onto this film, which makes positives. It's processed the same as your local minilab. I hope you enjoy making prints. If you don't then it might give funky prints. But when processed it is a negative film.

3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sounds like cool stuff! show us some examples when you have some!!!

-Dan

4. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I see now. Thanks for clearing this up -- the description was somewhat confusing. I don't plan to make prints from this film. I plan to scan it or use a slide duplicator with my DSLR and dupe it. I may have prints made from the scans/dupes. Anyway, it should be fun to play around with.

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Prints as in from negatives to slides. sorry.

6. cooltouch

cooltouch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recently I've been playing around with scanning and duping negatives as positives, and then converting them to positive images in my image processing software. Since this film has no orange cast, it seems that it will make the process of color balance easier. Currently, I have to get rid of a lot of cyan after the negative has been reversed. This is doable, but the reversal process usually results in a very low contrast image, which must be corrected using substantial histogram adjustments. So if this film makes the process easier, then great. If not, well I do have a lot of negatives I wouldn't mind having as slides.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vericolor 5072 is not a Dupe Negative Film as stated above.

It is a transparency print film (to make slides from negatives) :

No reversal development, no mask. But low contrast, low speed and spectral sensitivity designed for the dyes in the original negative.

8. Domin

Domin Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It actually very high contrast - its designed to make a slide out of color neg which is less contrasty than world.
    Its slow, I use it at EI 3 - 0,7 depending on conditions.

If you want normal pictures with normal colors the film is pretty useless. It's tungsten balanced and expects the orange negative mask.

It is may impossible to correct it digitally to normal colors when exposed in camera. When shot without filtration it gives blue or blue-cyan images with no or almost none of other colors as its blue speed is much higher than other color speeds. Closest to normal I got was with yellow filter and tungsten lightning but there's still some crossover and high contrast more so than a cross processed slides.

9. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One more thing: It's old stuff and regardless of it's condition it might need the old kind of stabiliser.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domin,
    you are right, it's not low contrast. I got astray on this feature with that Dupe thing again. Sorry.

11. bdilgard

bdilgard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Domin

Domin Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Suggestion to shot it at 12 or 6 with filter is rather interesting - I've shot about 20 rolls of that stuff and I'd underexposure. Get better results with rating it slower.
    Also that redscale thing - redscale is red. Unfiltered 5072 is blue or blue-cyan. There are some images on flickr when searching for "vericolor slide".

13. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It depends whether you print it or view it as a slide. The negative of red is cyan. It is designed to offset the orange base of film when viewed directly as a positive. When printed in a minilab it would have the opposite effect.

14. Domin

Domin Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean and how that applies to the 5072 and redscale.
    It does not have orange base and when viewing as a slide implies it's been used as kodak intended.

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any print film to a negative camera film (whether the print film is intended as duplicate or as a slide-film) has to cope with the orange mask of the camera film.
    This means that the sensitivity of the print film is not only tuned to the absorbtion of the image dyes (in contrast to a natural scene) but also to the filtration due to the mask. It is thus less red-sensitive. A bit like a tungsten camera film.

16. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you use the filter pack printed on the package and use it to print negative film you should be pretty close. That amounts to a Daylight to tungsten filter, plus the equivalent blue/cyan filter needed to offset the orange base of normal negative film plus the filter pack printed. Have fun.