Kodak Wratten Gel filters, optical quality?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Pasto, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm setting up to do some interior pictures in 4x5 with color film. I'm wondering about the optical quality of Kodak gels for CC and CB. Their quality is supposed to be very high, but close inspection of my new gels indicates surface imperfections (warps and bumps) that can't be good for image quality....I'm worried. Should I consider resin or glass instead?? Any experiences are much appreciated.

2. Casey Kidwell

Casey Kidwell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never had a problem with them. I did 8x10 repro grade trans with some cc filters of questionable condition for years and it never seemed to make a difference.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quality dropped after Kodak bought the company :D

More seriously try them first the quality is very high despite looking at the surface obliquely, they aren't glass and you'll be surprised how good they are in practice, there's no drop in quality. (Kodak took over Wratten in 1912 to get Mees to head their research).

Ian

4. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, I feel a lot better now. :smile:

Any issues with using two over the lens in seperate holders? I'm thinking about reflections off the inner surfaces in particular...

5. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    REFLECTIONS:

use a lens hood. that should cut down any problems with reflections. I've used the 3" versions(75mm) with my view cameras, and using the same shade that I use for my RZ(G3 bellows hood), it works very well. No problems so far, even shooting with the sun to the side!

-Dan

6. aluncrockford

aluncrockford Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It was standard practice to put gel filters on the back element , I suspect this is to reduce flare , if you look at sinar shutters they have a facility to hold them ,with copal shutters lee do a starter pack gel holder which uses a elastic band ,that should do the trick

7. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Try hunting down a horseman behind the lens filter holder. These wrattens are like dust magnets and nigh impossible to clean.