Kodask Flexicolor C41RA Bleach Replenisher

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by newcan1, Jan 11, 2013.

1. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I made an impulse purchase of 20L of Kodak Flexicolor C41RA bleach, hoping I could use it as C41 bleach for small tank developing. Does anyone know if this would be successful, and if so, whether I would need a bleach starter or would the replenisher work on its own? It sees the right color and has the right sounding ingredients!

2. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    oops forgive my typing - "Kodask" should be "Kodak"

3. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised nobody replied. I use C41RA all the time in Jobo and Sidekick. It works fine. No need to a starter.

4. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    anikin, thanks for the reply. It's funny, but just today I received some bleach starter. It wasn't very expensive. It's good to know I don't need it. It's also good to know it's cheap, so I might as well use up the bottle I just acquired.

I'll be using the c41RA bleach in a standard single-reel developing tank. Do you think the published times will be sufficient or should I bleach for a bit longer?

5. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bleach for full 6:30. Bleach runs to completion, and I'm usually not much in a hurry when processing my own film,
    I just prefer to be sure I got all the silver out.

6. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good point. And how many 36 exp 35mm films do you feel a liter of this bleach will handle?

7. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, quite a bit. You need to read the Kodak's docs for exact number. After processing couple of rolls, I just dump about 50-100 ml and replace with fresh replenisher. And i think i am being a bit wasteful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Newcan,
    can you reveal where you got the stuff and how much shipping ran you approx?

Appreciate any insight.

9. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bruce: I bought on Ebay - 2 boxes of 10L each (2x5 per box) - just over $100 delivered. I have no idea if that is a good price, but it seemed so at the time. Of the total, the shipping was over $20. Hope this helps.

And thanks again anikin - this is very helpful.

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the update newcan.
    I appreciate it.

20 bux for a bleach/hazmat is a gift really. especially considering the liquid etc.

As you know, bleach can be an iffy proposition so its good to get when the gettins' good.

11. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a further question: Usually the stop bath turns a bit pink, and with a ferricyanide bleach, to ensure no carryover of developing agent to the bleach, I use a sulfite clearing bath and/or additional rinses between the stop bath and the bleach. Need I do this with the C41RA bleach? I'm thinking of turning my photography into a business, in which case environmental rules will require me to capture my wastes for later disposal - and I want to cut down on waste volumes.

12. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My phototherm sidekick processor goes directly from the developer to the bleach. No stop, no wash, no clearing. If you want to go an extra step, a stop and a wash is more than enough.