Konica FT-1, that damn battery case!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by RoBBo, Dec 4, 2008.

1. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It shat out on me a while ago, I know it's just the battery contacts that are bad, but I can't seem to find a replacement (Even if it were the AA instead of the AAA, would probably even fit my hand better.)
    I've picked up a HEXAR since it died but I'm really missing my 55 Macro and the 85/1.8.

So first, if anyone could help me find one of those, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Other than that, I really don't like the older Konica bodies, and I know the FS and FT (Not to mention the TC) aren't really 'lasting' bodies.
    I also know because of the design I wont be able to put those lenses on any other companies bodies and maintain infinity focus.

So I'm looking for advice on a dependable 35mm SLR. Since I wont be able to use that beautiful Konica glass, I was hoping for something of comparable quality, though I know finding that in the same price range is unlikely.

I'm a little torn about having a motor drive (being left eyed and all) and having a full on apocalypse camera that only needs the batteries for the meter, so input on either of those types would be great, I do want something durable though, I figure, if it can't take it, I don't want it.

2. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The T70 is one of the ugliest cameras I've ever seen in my life, not to mention all those buttons, that LCD, and that plastic body, I've put a roll or two through one of them before, and would never want to again. And from what I've used of the Canon FD glass, while nothing to scoff at, it doesn't compare to most of the Konica AR lineup.

I was thinking maybe something Contax or an older Leica R, but I don't know really anything about the bodies nor the prices for those cameras.

I'll give that yahoo group a look to try and get the FT-1 going again, but I'll still need to replace the thing at some point.

5. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any way to fabricate a new set of battery contacts? There must be some kind of device which can yield up contacts that may be soldered in place? Or do a Heath Robinson with aluminum foil?

6. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I have the T70 and Konica TC with a full range of lenses for each, the T70 might be ugly but it fits into my hand perfectly, the Konica doesn't...as for the lenses, I like the colours from the hexanons and the sharpness is excellent, but the Canons are sharp as well..if a canon fd 28mm can produce a result like this then it can't be bad...mind you it was professional done:-

[​IMG]

7. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I upgraded my FT-1 to use AA batteries, but kept the AAA battery pack. Actually found it. PM or Email your address, I can drop the pack into the mail.

I would keep my Konica running for the 28/1.8 lens. I sold my Nikkor 28/2 after getting it.

8. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For service on anything Konica, you need to talk to Greg Weber at Weber Camera. I would consider maybe a T4 with the motor winder, try the Konica Yahoo group though, real nice bunch of folks.

9. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have not seen a PM or Email- so the aaa battery pack is tucked away with my FT-1. Let me know if you want it. Free for Christmas.

10. LFLee

LFLee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi lens_hacker, recently got a FT-1 and it can't power up, batteries corrosion can be seen. Not sure if it is battery pack problem. Will do further trouble shooting, but glad I found this thread, do you still have the AAA battery pack?

11. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  12. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It might be less costley to just buy another FT 1 or a FS 1 than attempt a repair. See FT 1 going for less than $20 on the Goodwill site.

13. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you don't mind a full-size body, the Konica Autoreflex T can use your lenses. It's large, heavy and built to outlast all of us. No hot shoe -- just a bolt-on accessory shoe.