Konica II w/ 50mm f/2.8 Hexanon-any info?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by MattKing, May 6, 2010.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I came upon one of these cameras (a Konica II w/ 50mm f/2.8 Hexanon lens) today in our local thrift store.

It came with a very complete kit, which included a fitted leather case, Auto-Up closeup accessory, pc synch adapter, wide-angle and telephoto lens adapters, small Sekonic LC-2 selenium meter that fits on the cold shoe, several filters, a lens shade and a wonderful leather carry bag with airline stickers ("TCA-DC8!).

I've googled the camera, which leads to this helpful camerapedia article:

Konica II and III link

The camera seems quite functional, although the adjustments show signs of being stored for a long time. It is also in very nice cosmetic condition.

Does anyone here have more information, or direct experience, or a manual for this camera? Does anyone have any idea of it's worth (eBay completed listings were not very extensive).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a link to a photo of the camera as shown on the camerapedia site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfobrien/1538663932/in/pool-camerapedia/

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Konica made three fixed-lens rangefinders in the 1950s: Konica I, II and III. There are some slight variations within each model.

The Konica I is the simplest of the cameras and had at least two, possibly three lens choices, and the Konica III usually had an f/2.0 lens but came in different body styles. The fit and finish of the Konica III is excellent. It a left-handed lever that winds the film and tensions the shutter.

The Konica II sits nicely between the two. It's very solidly built with a couple rangefinder. Fit and finish is between the Konica I and Konica III. I think it's a nice camera, and if you found once that's a complete kit you should definitely go for it.

3. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your help on this.

I figured that Greg Weber might be a good source for a CLA (but hadn't checked yet with him).

Now to decide - keep and use it, or sell it to feed the rest of my GAS.

I'll shoot a roll or two before deciding.

5. mpbrowna

mpbrowna Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Konica CLA

I would also recommend Mr. Greg Weber. I obtained a IIIa which looked really good physically. However, the shutter stuck at the slower speeds. Mr. Weber cla'd it plus disconnected the linked aperture / shutter speed. I now use he camera all the time. he left hand shutter cocking / film advance is simply great. Can't believe all camera didn't work this way.

6. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have a Konica 111 with the F2 lens, beautifully made, and I had the shutter on mine CLA'd. The repairman commented on the quality of construction of this camera, said it was really top notch.
    The Hexanon lenses on these cameras caused quite a stir when they first came out, the sharpness that they achieved put the established names on notice.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a great camera. A very good buy!

Jeff

8. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Konica II, besides being beautiful and a joy to use, has an incredible lens. Don't be tempted to get rid of it. Cameras like this are few and far between and belong in the permanently kept category.

9. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks again folks.

I've got a second test roll awaiting processing. We will see.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format