Konica IR and Pyrocat?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jul 29, 2013.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anyone ever use this combination? I was recently gifted with some rolls of the Konica and was wondering what if any recommendations folks had for shooting/processing this film. It's been close to 20 years since I last used it and I completely forget what developer I used when I shot it last (I suspect it was either Edwal TG7 or Rodinal). Rodinal is fine as an option - I have a bunch of it, but if anyone has any recommendations/experience of using staining developers with it, that would be terrific.

2. A year or two ago I acquired some Konica IR film that had expired back around '93. I developed mine in D76, so that may not help you. I seem to recall the developing times was around 12 or 13 minutes. Some of the rolls came out nicely; others... not so much. I still have a couple rolls in the freezer I hope to shoot eventually.

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1/4s at 16 with an 89b filter. Sometimes I bracket but the 1/4 sec exp is usually the keeper.
    I process mine in PMK, but that's not going to be of much help to you.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Give me your times anyway- I can use them to extrapolate a starting point. Or I might just semi-stand it and let it stew for 45 minutes :smile:

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be great to learn about the keeping qualities of that film. Specially regarding spectral sensitivity.

6. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The last three images in my gallery are on Konica that expired in 1995 (grain bin, flag and overpass). Those were from a darkroom estate sale, and according to the wife they were kept frozen. So, it appears to me that the stuff keeps pretty well . . .in the freezer.

Those were developed in PMK too, and I would be happy to give you the times but my darkroom is in deep storage.

I made the mistake of shooting frivolously, assuming the film would not be of any value. If you have several rolls, it will be worth blowing one on a test.

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The oldest konica 750 I have expired in 1990 and has a bit of base fog but prints just fine. I sold about 300 rolls, gave some away a couple years ago, and have only heard good things regarding the results. 9 minutes in pmk, using a jobo speed 4. I print with a dichroic head. My August print special is an 11x14 from Zion National Park. Should be live on my website in a day or two if you wanna see the results.