Kudos to B&H - Pentax MZ-S

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Wolfeye, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just received a Pentax MZ-S I bought from B&H's used department and couldn't be happier. They rated it a 9 on their scale, and aside from some hotshoe paint loss, the camera looks mint.

All too often we see reported the bad side of buying used from the non-eBay guy, Adorama, B&H, KEH, so I wanted to give some love where credit is due.

And what a kewl camera. :smile:

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heavn't bought much over the internet, KEH has been pretty good to me so far along with B&H.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I highly rate KEH, FreeStyle and B&H on their internet sales and support.

Steve

4. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I have had troubles from most everyone, but they have all gone out of their way to fix. With one un-named exception, for less than $5 costs. I continue to buy off the internet, with caution.

5. henryp

henryp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you. We're very happy you're so satisfied.

6. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Been very happy with my purchases of used equipment as well as repair service from KEH. Not the absolute cheapest for either, but excellent service.

Have also had a very good resolution of a not so good purchase from Adorama on a used lens. Returned the lens with full refund of purchase price plus original shipping, and they paid the return shipping. Very quick refund. No questions asked, very pleasant and apologetic interaction. Will not hesitate to do business with them again.

7. Obtong

Obtong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You pay a little more with KEH, but you do get a 14 day "No questions asked" return policy as well as a 60 day warranty.

~Dom

8. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    B&H is the best!

Freestyle is the best for film users!

Kudos to both. Terrific suppliers.

9. cfclark

cfclark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was gifted a Pentax 6x7 from B&H by my wife, and although it may have been possible for her to save a few $$$ on eBay, she felt the people she worked with there were very knowledgeable and the price was fair. It can be worth a little more to deal with a known quantity. (I've also worked with Adorama and KEH and had good results, BTW.)

10. henryp

henryp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually KEH does ask why you are returning an item but I've never had them balk for any reason.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought stuff from B&H, KEH and Freestyle and the prices and service are great with all three. I have the same problem with each of them though - their shipping charges are really high, at least to Canada - even using the US postal service.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Click on the sentence and all will be revealed. The answer may surprise you.
    Not.

Their policy on initial returns is better than KEH, as it's 15 days from receipt of goods rather than 14 days from invoice date.

16. st3ve

st3ve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never had an issue with KEH. "Paying more" is relative, as it depends on the item in question, and everything I have bought from them has been "BGN" condition but has been in like new condition, from pro AF lenses to old Takumar 50s.

I've never had an issue with B&H.
    I've never had an issue with Adorama.

My first order from Freestyle is in the mail. I'm sure I won't be disappointed, and I had just been waiting for an excuse to order from them.

You really can't go wrong with any of the four.

17. thorolf

thorolf Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wolfeye,

Congratulations on your purchase. A great little tank of a camera. Ergonomic heaven with the BG-10 grip - especially for small hands like mine.

I have had very good experiences with B&H. Bought a new FA 77mm limited from them recently (No US warranty). Posted it to Australia fast. Don't know where they got it, but it was a Made in Japan version.

They advised me to send my invoice to Pentax. No problems - Pentax sent me an international warranty the next week. This means I can get it fixed under warranty in Australia, and I didn't have to pay inflated Aussie prices.

Go the little MZ-S and Limited lenses. YeeeHah!

18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've ordered quite a few brand new lenses from B&H for my digital bodies and have been extremely pleased.

However, I can't justify the prices B&H and KEH are asking for their used gear...also, KEH doesn't ship via USPS, only FedEx and some other more expensive options to Canada...so on any lens purchase I'm looking at a MINIMUM of a little over $33 for shipping...that's a little steep...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
  19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow...and I just found out that KEH doesn't buy from Canadians...that's pretty weak :tongue:

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is because they are lined up along the US border waiting for the right time to flood in and take over! Then we would be forced to watch television without ads for drugs. What a drug free society? What will the Canadians think of next?!?!?!?

Steve

21. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did they say why?

22. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure that it is because they would have to process them as commercial importations (paperwork, fees, duty, broker services, etc.). That just wouldn't make sense for individual, small size lots.

In addition, they would have to go through that process when the items originally enter the USA. If the Canadian customer decided that their offer wasn't acceptable, they would have to return the items and apply for refunds.

Can you blame KEH?

23. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't say that I do.

24. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nope...that's not it...the same rules apply for me buying from them...

They cited shipping costs as a reason...

Though I just noticed they don't pay all that well anyways, I'd be better off selling privately :smile:

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, but you have to bear almost all the costs and complexities if you import from KEH, while they have to bear all the costs and complexities if they import from you.

Those costs and complexities include the shipping costs involved, but a lot more as well.

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are better off with all the commercial importations (paperwork, fees, duty, broker services, etc.). Without them you would end up spending the same money and getting even more equipment. Then your place would be crowded and your spouse would be complaining. You are just better off. Really. Just tell yourself that over and over again. :tongue:

Steve