L.C. Tiffany and his Atmospheric Carboxyl Acid effect with Gold color glass

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am researching Tiffany Glasses and his chemist Arthur Nash Inventions. I am having very hard time with Corning Glass Museum. I bought Arthur Nash Notebooks Book and learned that When LCT at France , he inspired with thousands of years old Glass Vases which they remained in wet soil for a long time and turned to gold color after acids eat the alkali and preserve the silica.

Before invention of Favrille , they applied to the blowed glass vases , atmospheric carboxyl acid and get the same shiny , deep , thick and metallic luster.

I asked some questions to British Museum and Corning , but I am speaking to walls.

I looked to A.C.A. term at Google and found many different relatives. I dont know what is the exact chemical , is it dangerous like hydrofluoric acid , how to apply , what is time requirement for process and does lustered glass cancerogenic.

If I learn the process , it would be possible to print on glass or print on ceramic glassy glaze.

I added Favrille Glass example but preFavrille luster was faraway stronger.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
    Istanbul

Attached Files:

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you find an example of the pre-Favrille glass? I'd love to see it.

Maybe contacting some kind of art & design school that specializes in glass would be more fruitful. Companies will never be helpful; academic types would be much more willing.

Are you trying to find the specific carboxylic acid used?

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant,

C.h.

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello Chris , How are you , I am attending to a night school for cnc programming and when I return at 24.00 , you are off from the APUG , I think We have 7 hours difference.

You love to read classics and it turns to educated language.

Prefavrille production was not so strong if I am not wrong and quickly turned in to a technology contains silver adding in to molten glass than make a vase than put in to kiln and heat it in special atmosphere , when vase turned in to green - when silver out from the glass - protochloric tin sprayed and tin turn in to gold color as at the picture.

I have preFavrille pictures BW but it looks wild really.

If you research paperweight , morning glory , reactive glass examples , tiffany always liked from more educated , softer colors even he gets wild colors , where he overcoat the colors with another layer of crystal to mute them.

Tiffany never blowed a glass , never made a chemical recipe but only the drawings and the selection for selling.

Arthur Nash and Leslie Nash were the chemists.

Reactive Glass is very interesting , you take up five layers of crystal on to rod , blow it , heat it again and when you touch with cold steel , colors appear and sparks in transparent glass.

If you can call corning glass museum / rakow reference library at rochester , and ask them nonmuseum staff , individual researchers list to take notes from the books , I promise to share everything I got.

Thank you ,

Umut