Labs still running Optical Minilabs?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys- I was wondering what labs out there are still running optical minilabs. (I mean ones that the film is directly put to the paper with no scanning involved) The only one I know of is Blue Moon camera and machine and I haven't tried them out yet. Thanks.

2. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Optical minilabs are really a thing of the past. The last one in my area closed down about two years ago, and the quality was inferior to scan & print. The problem is that most optical minilabs used low-quality glass (compared to enlargers), and the glass was not regularly cleaned. I have heard that Blue Moon does an excellent job, but most remaining optical minilabs will be inferior to a Noritsu or Frontier print.

*note: This does not apply to hand-printed optical enlargements. These are still far better than scanning, IMHO.

3. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Blue moon prints on Mitsubishi paper which I find interesting. I have to shoot some neg to send to them because I don't work with a lot of Portra. I would like to send them some Ektar too.

4. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Optical still going strong in SD.

First Photo in Rapid City. Still doing film using AGFA MSC200s. In house Ektachrome processing also. Owned by famous Bill Grothe, photographer of the Black Hills, Rushmore, Deadwood, Keystone Etc......