Labs that make real prints from 6x9 negatives ???

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by BradS, Jun 8, 2010.

1. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a wonderful little Franka Rolfix. It makes eight 6x9 images on 120 roll film. Mostly, I shoot B&W and print in my own darkroom. Sometimes, I'd like to shoot color....

I have not found a lab that will D&P this by a traditional process. They all seem to want to dev the film, scan the negs and make...well, crummy ink ject prints. This seems to be a limitation of the machines used....as I understand, none of the modern machines can make machine prints from 6x9 negs...

Does anybody know of a lab that will make real C-41 prints from 6x9 negs? (at a reasonable price) ???

(I emailed Praus Productions and got no response...not hello, goodby, kiss-my-grits, nothing.)

2. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    North American Photo (Michigan). Why make proofs from C-41? Just shoot slide and scan. (or B&W)

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brad,

I have used http://goldencolor.com/ in West Los Angeles. He does good work and has an all optical shop.

Steve

4. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Steve,

I'll check them out...nice that they are here on the west coast too...

(WOW! That is hands down the worst web site I have ever seen! Even worse than Adoph Gasser's old site! :surprised: )

5. likemarlonbrando

likemarlonbrando Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The adverts for computer classes down the left do it for me :tongue:

oh no hang on - the cropped scrolling head wins !

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I particularly hate that it opened Quicktime when I opened the page, then again when I closed the window. No website should ever have another program open in order to operate.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i know blue moon does real black and white down to minox size,
    they may do color as well ( but i'm not sure ) ...
    not sure if this is helpful, but

http://www.acecam.com/lsb3ndex.html

goodluck !
    john

9. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you were in Australia I could help you :-( i can hand print every format from 8mm to 8x10" on RA-4, ilfochrome and Black and White up to 50inches x 4 meters.... Hmm Move to Australia? hehehehe

10. jpberger

jpberger Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is the issue that they don't have a 6x9 neg carrier or that they don't do mf optical prints?

11. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I bought an enlarger from JC Weldon, Weldon Color Labs who is scaling down optical lab (not ending it, just sizing it down some). He does a lot of lightjet with <d-word> but he has a full on analog process capacity as well and I can attest to the quality as I saw tons of his work while I was there.

http://www.weldoncolorlab.com/

Oh, and I wouldn't have said that except that Steve below mentioned West LA. Weldon is also .. well he's near Robertson and the Santa Monica Freeway.

12. akaa

akaa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Brad,

I know this is only half your problem, but if you find yourself in Sacramento with developed negs (or want to send them), I print up to 16x20 in ra4. I have Endura, Royal and Edge paper and use AGFA chemicals.

Aris

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any lab that has an enlarger and a Kreonite can do it. Any lab that does not have an enlarger and a Kreonite is not really a lab. :D

A&I here in L.A. does them for sure, but there must be a pro lab somewhere in the bay area (which is closer to you than L.A., if I remember correctly).

If you want Ilfochrome prints (i.e. color prints made from transparencies), there is a guy in L.A. (Burbank, to be precise) whose work I like very much. The place is called The Lab. http://www.lab-ciba.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  14. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lab ciba is the best. I remember selling him lots of FP4 to make contrast masks with.

excellent printer

-Dan

15. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    brad,

so just out of curiosity, you're wanting PROOF PRINTS? not just a proofsheet? Seeing that most labs anyhow(minilabs, not pro-labs) don't have optical machines, and IDK if getting parts for those machines is getting sketchy or not...

I was going to say, send me the film and I can make proofsheets of it for you(for a small fee of course). There's a photo center down here in my area that maintains a color wet lab, for now :surprised:. I'll be re-starting my membership there this fall so I can proof my last year's worth of shoots and personal work.

probably not the answer you were looking for, just mentioning it as a possible option.

-Dan

16. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to all who've replied. I am going to give A&I a try.