Lack of Contrast from Omega View 4x5?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, May 22, 2014.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I own a Omega View 4x5 view camera. That last time I shot with it, the negs lacked contrast. Does anyone else have an issue with this brand of view camera? Is there something I could check? I develop as per Ilford devloping time instructions. I was thinking of taking it with me on big trip next month.

Todd

2. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    it's not the camera... the camera is just a dark box.-- it is most probably the subject or your developing.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should check the lens and make sure it's clear. But, other than that any contrast problem with your negatives will be a factor of exposure and development time, especially development time.
    Ilford's or any other manufacturer's times are really starting points, and you can and should adjust depending on your requirements and testing. So if your negs lack contrast, but have sufficient shadow detail, then increasing the development time or agitation, or both should take care of things.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lots of things to check. In the camera check for light leaks. If the lens is not new, then it may suffer from fogged surfaces. If those things are correct then look at processing related issues like errors in temp measurement, over-dilute developer, wrong time, old chemistry. The list is quite extensive. If all checks out ok, then increase development by 25% for you next two sheets.

5. Simon Howers

Simon Howers Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most likely some problem with film and/or processing. The only equipment based problem you may encounter is lens flare, solved by shading the lens (use the withdrawn darkslide) or a hood.

It's always worth checking your camera for light leaks.

I generally develop Ilford film with s stand development process using an Extol/RO9 mixture for an hour. This produces lots of contrast.

6. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Light leaks.. Maybe Bellows has pin holes. I'll check with a flash light. I should get a pin sharp images with this camera.

Todd

7. Axle

Axle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple more questions.

- What lens are you using? What is your exposure?
    - What film and developer?

8. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What film and developer?

This I can answer right away.. Ilford Delta 100 and D-76 dev 68 12 min. Lens details I'll get tonight. Exposure is determind on subject matter with light meter.

9. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Are you using D76 at any dilution ratio?

10. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    no.. I use the same 1+1 ratio for all my Ilford. This is only camera I have issues with sharpness and contrast. Yes.. I forgot to mention sharpness.

Todd

11. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    D76 is made by Kodak, not Ilford. The sharpness is a camera/lens issue, but try 14 minutes development.

12. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Everything being fuzzy could be make it hard to determine contrast, maybe. It seems like a focus issue is a far bigger problem.

Have you done a focus test to see how far off it is? It could be something simple like a fresnel+GG put in backwards.