Lake Louise in Winter

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Kilgallb, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A friend of mine said all photographers around here take the same photo from the same famous spot at Lake Louise. But you have to as it is too compelling not to. He also said every photo is unique because the light is always different.

Yesterday I did the tourist photo of the Lake and the Victoria glacier. Today I did it again, a little colder (-20C) but sunny. Tomorrow it will be warmer and clear. I plant to be on the ice at 7:30 AM (dawn) and expect to have a third different photo from the same place.

It is phenomenal how true my friend's observation is.

2. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For another unique shot of this icon, head up in late May, when the ice begins to melt. As well, you can always go for broke and schlep your rig up the Tea-house Trail (snow shoes are generally recommended).

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings from sunny south Florida,

A few years ago we were on vacation in Alberta and while in Banff during a visit to the Whyte Museum we had the pleasure of meeting Craig Richards their resident photographer. We later had the additional pleasure of entertaining him as our house guest when he presented a workshop here in Miami. If you are not familiar with his work it is well worth checking it out both online and in person.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jeff, we need to get together sometime this year. there are a few apugers in florida now. i like to meet them all!

5. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A few years ago I stayed at the Hotel that looks out on that lake. They will wake you up in time for sunrise if you request.

They aren't suppose to do that if the weather isn't very good, but for some reason they forgot that part and called me around 5 am . The weather was lousy view wasn't great but it was a wonderful adventure anyway.

It is difficult to get a different view, but as you are discovering light is everything

6. Irrev.Rev.

Irrev.Rev. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    RALPH...
    WOULD YOU ADD ME TO YOUR LIST? I'M IN VENICE!

THANKS,
    jOHN

7. JimO

JimO Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    look at that... them apuggers are all over this State - I'm in Tampa-St. Pete - have camera will travel.

jvo

8. h.v.

h.v. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice, I haven't been to Banff in the winter (the national park Lake Louise is located in), but it sure looks stunning in photos. I'm sure you've got some nice exposures there. Are you staying at the Chateau or further away in the "town"?

9. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Try to walk up to Lake Agnes.

10. Bruce

Bruce Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kilgallb -You should take the walk from the hotel around the right side of the lake and watch for any ice climbers. Awesome!!

I did some cross country skiing over the lake in winter several years ago. A beautiful area in winter or summer.

Bruce

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Banff and Lake Louise are the most beautiful places that I have skiied.

12. heterolysis

heterolysis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was last there in May and it was gorgeous with the ice on the lake half melted.