Large format and film are alive and well...

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by AutumnJazz, Sep 27, 2009.

1. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, at least in the Village. I went into the city on Saturday to check out some art, meet up with my brother, and so on...and while killing time I saw a girl setting up a Calumet rail camera. The lens board was in incorrectly, and I helped her focus. :smile:

2. mark

mark Member

Large format and film are alive and well....and allowed you to hit on some art chick in the city.

Not only is it alive and well, it is sexy too.:wink:

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you also show her how to reach full bellows extension?

4. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :D You guys are too much. I was just helping...I had to leave soon after to go to dinner. (Momofuku Ssäm is AWESOME.) :tongue:

5. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sigh.

And you wonder why there aren't more chicks on APUG?

I see AutumnJazz was being a gentleman, though. Good work :smile:

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having just returned from a Photographic shop I'm not so sure.

The owner saw my Yahicamat and asked if I could still get film for it. Getting any B&W, Reversal and 120/Large format is remarkably difficult in some places. It's not the manufacturer's or the shops it's the importers/distributors.

I will have to find my recipe for Stargazy pie for you Heather :D it's not in my book of Developer formula :smile:

Ian

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lest I be accused of "running down other posters' characters" - you tell'em girl! "Enlightened" men are no different than the rest us hound dogs.

As a 16 year old teen, he did the good and right thing.

Regards, Art.

8. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is more of a case of a woman using a tool more patriarchally seen as popular among men, such it has been the case with computer and motorcycles in the past, which make her stand out and seem more attractive.
    Being heterosexual, I cannot help but attach a slight sexual attraction to the sight of a woman with a real camera, but that would the case of anyone that is attractive and displays a similarity of interests.
    In a cycling forum, men drool over women in bikes and so on, something perfectly normal.
    A film camera is perhaps the sexiest portable accessory of a woman (and possibly a man), because not only shows her creative spirit but also her independence and contempt for the flow of the mass. It shows that she puts artistic quality, integrity and discipline above the frivolous, convenient and popular.
    I find both displays of interest the gentlemen have shown above, quite natural and human.

And really, if you have never thought of stepping inside a dark cloth with someone attractive or touching hands on the knobs or blushing at the extension of a bellows, then, there must be something wrong with you.

9. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ian - I already have a recipe or two, just haven't got the guts to try making it yet... Or the fish.

I'd like to point out I can handle my triple bellows extension without any help, thanks boys!

10. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    17. :wink: And she was probably older than me. I can, however, pass for someone in their mid-20s. Don't ask me why. I've even been served alcohol without being carded, in a restaurant in NYC (there was a free drink with entrée...I was with my family). Tis a brave new world, old sport.

That said, photography is not nearly as bad as the audiophile world. Almost exclusively men. Delirious men, at that.

Also, I don't think film photography is as bad as digital. The brashest and least educated with the most money to lose tend to follow the newest trends. I'm sure those that would disparage a woman for participating in their sport are already putting their 5D Mk. II's up for sale as they lie in wait of the new 1Ds.

11. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A cougar! You da man!

Crap ... did I just write that? Sorry Heather. Forgive me? :wink:

Regards, Art.

12. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Too bad, Art, you're unforgivable. :wink: :wink: :wink:

13. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah... I'll bet you got that lens board in nice and tight.

14. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    boy, this is interesting :smile:...

but no, I totally agree with "a film camera is perhaps the sexiest portable accessory of a woman".

from 3 years ago graduating high school to now at the ripe old age of 21, my "ideal woman" has changed quite drastically. I'm now more interested in intelligence and wit, then the general womanly form, that so many of us men look at first :smile:. Not that the "womanly form" is a bad thing at all though :D

"as my grandfather said, you can't have everything, but it doesn't hurt to check out the menu"

15. AmandaTom

AmandaTom Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Gosh, where are all you guys when I set up my view camera for shooting at night? The goons I usually see are the ones who give me the "I pity you, lady" look and give me an earnest lecture on how much easier my life would be were I shooting d*****l.

16. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to let you fellers that my daughter (a woman) handled the world of press photography up to the level of photographic editor, where she can now also commission/select/and assign photographs from, amongst others, the many equally accomplished female photographers attached to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Regards - Ross

17. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    We're watching from afar... a very respectful gaze. :D

18. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hear the same old tired "photospeak" about digital being better than film, the unavailability of film, film being dead, blah blah blah. Usually from those with huge investments in technology that's just been upgraded to the newest, fastest, bigger and better stuff. I'd rather have GAS than feed the pig of conspicuous consumption for a technology that leaves tons of plastic to add to the landfills, along with the printers, computers, and reams of printed images done just because it's so much easier and convenient than using a darkroom. I'm not rich enough to afford new equipment whenever something in my vision glitters and becons me. I can, however, buy used for great prices from those who have sold out, off, their film equipment to afford "that other stuff", thus recycling perfectly good equipment and keeping my appetite satisfied. I will confess though, I do have more than I need but I also loan out large and medium equipment to others to demonstrate how nice it is to shoot and develop your own. On another note, I haven't tried night photography yet and am curious about film speeds, shutter speeds, apetures, and other folks experience shooting at night. After all folks, we are a comunity of like minded souls. If someone has trouble getting their hands on film or supplies, let someone know who can order and ship for you. We are fortunate here to have a great pro shop and can get most anything online. I feel better now.

19. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is a bona fide, genuine, heartfelt rant.
    Thank you RPippin.

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where RPippin's rant collapses in the last sentence. Yes those of us who have trouble buying film locally can & do buy from elsewhere usually a major city or even a different country.

The problem is that the lack of analog materials in local photo shops means there nothing to tempt new photographers into trying film, and what's worse is these dealers have no maens of even ordering small quantities either. It's something I've talked over with two different shop's owners in the past month or so, These are also family owned portrait & commercial studios with 3 generations working in them.

Ian

21. AmandaTom

AmandaTom Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Were I young and lovely, things might be different......

22. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last sentence was, "I feel better now". However I do understand the issue with the lack of support for film on a local basis with photography supply stores. When I was in central Florida last winter I was very discouraged to find only one local shop. He had tons of old film cameras, darkroom equipment, lighting and other supplies but no photo paper or film. He had some chemicals that had been discontinued years ago, but nothing current. It was a literal gold mine for used stuff. Even though he did workshops for digital, he did nothing to promote film or encourage people to use film. I often wonder if it would pay to put together local workshops, gallery shows, and form a comunity to put some preasure on retailers to step up to the plate. My brother sees a problem for every solution, I see a solution for every problem, but... he's still my brother.