LARGE FORMAT FILM EXPOSURE AND DEVELOPMENT NOTES 2016-02-07

LARGE FORMAT FILM EXPOSURE AND DEVELOPMENT NOTES

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dan Henderson submitted a new resource:

LARGE FORMAT FILM EXPOSURE AND DEVELOPMENT NOTES - LARGE FORMAT FILM EXPOSURE AND DEVELOPMENT NOTES

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for this Dan. Very helpful!

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't the internet wonderful? You had to buy these forms 20 years ago from Fred Picker. Now it's FREE.

4. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Very, very nicely done! I much appreciate all of the effort that you have expended on our behalf. As I examine the parameters that you record, and the data that you acquire and use, I am motivated to tell you that you might not be aware that the ExpoDev program ( of the late and much lamented Phil Davis ) has much of the information built into the program. ExpodDev can be easily used on a Handspring PDA ( which are incredibly inexpensive now on Ebay ) in the field. Once one supplies the EV readings, the program will automatically provide the exposure information which has been automatically adjusted for the bellows factor, filter factor, and reciprocity. The information is then saved on your computer to be printed out as needed. Of course, one needs to do one film test to define your materials, and from then on the program supplies everything that one needs. There is even a built in timer for long exposures. One can contact Fred Newman at The View Camera Store for more information. Disclaimer: I have no financial interest of any kind in ExpoDev or any product that the VCS sells or provides! However, I have been using the ExpoDev program for a few years now. Please believe me when I tell you that if you want to concentrate on the artistic aspects, and not be "bogged down" with some of the technical aspects, that one should inform oneself about the ExpoDev program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0SGUF_evHw[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3W-Pl4leqY

I noted your reference to some of the BTZS terminology, and if you are already familiar with ExpoDev then I apologize!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan, that's great. I had adopted a system very similar to that laid out by Adams' appendix in 'The Negative'. And I agree. It is nice to have to info for reference. I also add a note or two on the day or feelings about the subject. And the photograph is not completed until I have entered my info as well.

6. Panoman617

Panoman617 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very cool Dan I saw you useing it up north the other day.

7. Ray R

Ray R Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Great system for a beginner

This was a great find for me. Occasionally I've wasted some shots from forgetting to update a parameter when I move from one location to another -that's with digital.

I'm just getting started with large format and this is a good system to help me understand the process as well as check my settings. I'll be sure to label my film holders now too.

Best of all, when looking at my results, I'll have notes to reference so I can track down the source of errors or try improvements for the next time.:smile:

8. superpos

superpos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    this helps a beginner a lot, thank you!

9. An Le-qun

An Le-qun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Dan. And has anyone ever mentioned that you write pretty well? (for a photographer, hee-hee).

10. david.jade

david.jade Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As a compulsive field note taker myself (and the author of ExpoDev) I'd like to add that ExpoDev does capture most of what you prescribe here and that it will soon be available for iOS (iPhone and iPod Touch devices). Down the road I plan to add even more note taking capabilities, like scene sketching and documenting metering reading points, etc... I have found that keeping good notes has been the key to getting good exposures as it allows me to more easily learn from my mistakes.

11. Randy Moe

Randy Moe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great gift! Logic first.

Thanks for all this. I am new to MF and LF. I have just starting shooting BW film and am setting up a darkroom. Finally retired, I can devote myself to this insanity. Only kidding, but I see this is a long and winding path that's gets me up in the morning. I am a bit of a gear head and need to shoot more and use what I already have. The darkroom calls...

12. DMW318

DMW318 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you Dan, while I am deliberate in setting up to shoot; I am less so in recording details. I have worked with larger forms and find the 31/2 X 51/2 size to be much more accessible.