Large Format Journal Spring 2006 Issue Available

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rrankin, May 3, 2006.

1. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just noticed that the spring 2006 issue of the Large format Journal is out. I would assume that the editors will make an 'official' posting here at some point.

I'm not sure what else is in there, but there is an interview which I did with APUG sponser and supporter J&C Photo regarding the future of film and their position on it. While I don't claim to be the next Geraldo (probably a good thing...) I think most LF and ULF APUGers might find it interesting.

Plus, I'm sure there are tons of other articles and samples of some excellent work. I find it encouraging that someone is putting in the effort for a new resource in the LF area rather than decrying the death of film...

The link is here if you are interested.
    Cheers,
    Richard

2. gbock

gbock Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Richard,

It also contains an interview I did with John Wimberley and an article by Joe Freeman, both of them members of the Contact Printers Guild.

Gerhard

3. joneil

joneil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Question - I just now paid on-line, so now how long do I wait to get my password e-amiled to me so I can downlaod and read it? Just checked my e-mail, and while I got a receipt, no password yet.

joe

4. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After reading this I have also paid my $4.95 USD but haven't received a password yet. Perhaps it isn't automated.

5. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It used to work manually but i'm not actually involved with the magazine directly and things may have changed. One of the editors would get the Paypal notice then send you a password to your email address. I don't know how long it actually takes though. Since they are mostly, if not entirely, in the UK, the time difference might have an effect. I believe London is 5 hours ahead of NYC.

Richard

6. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Pretty off putting. They should at least have a notation on their payment page alerting the user as to what to expect. Sucking your customer's money into what is perceived as a black hole is not exactly a good way to build confidence.

My attitude at this point is: this Journal better be damn good!

7. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I purchased a subscription two issues back. The password worked for that one, but not the next. It will be interesting to see if the password will work with this issue. I have my doubts.

8. dpingr

dpingr Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have subscribed before, and both times the password was sent within 24 hours. The instructions say that the payment must be authenticated before the password is sent. That's okay with me -- I can wait a day. The two previous issues were quite good, I thought.

9. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also paid and received no reply and I'm in the UK. I also sent an email and received no reply. I know it's only a couple of pounds but still....

10. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I paid for the spring issue yesterday morning at this time and got an email with the password a few minutes ago.

11. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same here. Damn this internet thing. If it doesn't happen straight away I start to get peed off. I used to send a cheque for something and then quite happily wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

12. joneil

joneil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To follow up from yesterday, I just received my password a short while ago. About a 24 hour delay. Given the high amount of CC fraud on the internet, I am not upset about a 24 hour verification dealy, but I do think there shold be a notice somewhere on the web page ahead of paying, that there is a delay.

Now - the one thing that *does* bug me - the down load seems totoally incompatable with either Firefox or Opera web browsers, I have the most up to have versions of both and the most up to date Acrobat, and I even turned on cookies and allowed popups, and still nothing. Opera simply does not work and Firefox crashes repeatedly. I had to fire up microsquish IE to download the Journal. Grrrr. Anybody else with this problem, or all you mindless drones of mass consumption who refuse to use anything that isn't a MS product on your computer? :smile:

You know, if we have the right to be independant, and reject the digital onslaught, our right to be independant and use non-MS products should be respected too. :smile:

Anyhow, soap box mode = off, and I can say, at first glance, looks very nice, looking forward to it

joe

13. dpingr

dpingr Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I downloaded mine with Safari, and it worked fine. No MS products here.

14. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Works fine with Firefox here.

15. leeturner

leeturner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if it's a firefox issue or a combination of firefox and the acrobat plugin. I seem to be having a few problems with browser based pdf files. The download did crash the browser once but the second time it worked.

16. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another 'ok' with FireFox. There was a Firefox update in the last day or two. Don't know if that could have anything to do with your trouble, but I haven't had any and use pdf all the time from all over the place.

Richard

17. Richard Kelham

Richard Kelham Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I downloaded the first two issues via Firefox onto a Mac with no problems at all. Just about to go get the next issue...

Richard