Large Format newbie questions

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rhodes, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I went to the monthly antique/flea fair here in my home town and bought a Speed Graphic 4X5 in a normal condition with some signs of wear, but apperantly in working order and with the lens with no fungus, scratches, etc. Even if the camera is not working fine, I can go to the fair next month and throw it at the seller :wink:.

First question is about the plain film holders, can I use it any one (from any brand) or I have to use only the ones from graflex?

Are the bellows real leather? If so can I use the same products for caring leather? What I have to look also to see if the camera is in order, besides the normal things?
    Thank you!

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it takes modern International fit 5x4 film holders. The bellows aren't leather they are a rubber matrial so can be cleaned with a damp cloth.

Ian

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. jon koss

jon koss Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just to ward off Murphy's Law, it should be mentioned that some Speeds were equipped with a Graflex back which would require the slotted holders.

Enjoy the camera! (And don't worry, I'm sure it will take the standard holders.)

J

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you! Well, will buy a modern international holder and see, :wink:!

6. PanaDP

PanaDP Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Before you buy anything, just look at the back of your camera. Pull the groundglass back a little bit and on the side where you would slide in a holder, on the face toward the lens, there will either be a slot or a ridge. The slot is for a ridge on corresponding international holders. These are the common ones. The ridge would require the slotted graflex-specific holders. It will probably have the slot and take normal, common holders.

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think it has a slot, can not see any ridge in that location!

PS: My speed graphic is all black with no labels in the shutter selector, can this be usefull for info on the year of the camera?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012