Large Format Photography courses in LA

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Rinthe, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Rinthe

Rinthe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone know a good school or place for this? I just want a large format class.

2. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Michael Gordon (http://www.michael-gordon.com) is doing a weekend LF workshop next March at Joshua Tree. I'm signed up (been trying to find a date that worked for me for a few years)- he's an excellent photographer and teacher. It's listed at Julia Dean Photo Workshops (www.juliadean.com), which is L.A.-based. I think Michael also does 1-on1 workshops, and he's based in Long Beach.

3. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    While you are looking and waiting, you might gain a lot from the library of articles on the Large Format Forum info page.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

In my own quest for retirement photo courses (twenty since 2003) I found at least the University of Akron, OH wanted you to take Photo 1 and 2 before taking a LF course. I had been shooting 35mm for 40 years, but still got a lot out of the courses. Half way through the LF course I was so taken by the idea I bought my first LF camera (Linhof Technikardan) to use in completing the course even though Calumet studio cameras were provided.

John Powers

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check Per Volquartz. He gives great darkroom courses and probably large format classes.

Steve

5. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Danny Burk does an excellent intro to LF class.