Larry Fink came to where I work to take pictures

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ic-racer, May 25, 2007.

1. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunatly, I knew nothing about it until his photographs were on display in our main lobby. I would have like to have met him and watched him work.

All of the photographs are on square format film (I presume iso 400 6x6 based on the grain) and look like they are printed on conventional silver paper (rather than ink jet). I can see some evidence of traditional 'spotting' on one of the negatives that had some dust on it..

Looks like most are with a 50mm WA lens (some, perhaps with a 40mm) and they have a somewhat remote off camera flash for lighting.

Its really nice to come into work and see some fantastic new analog B&W photography on the walls.

2. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool! He was my phto teacher in college - unfortunately, he didn't get along with the powers that be in the art dept so he was only there for a year. He used to shoot with a 35mm and a 30mm or so lens back then. He told us that you had to just get closer if you wanted your subject to fill more of the frame. He also did not do his own printing back then.

3. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I knew Larry many years ago. At that time he was using a Mamiya TLR with a 50 or 65mm lens and a hand held flash. I even have (somewhere here) a photograph he took of me with that set-up at my opening. I ran into him about 10 years ago and he had a Mamiya 6 rangefinder on his shoulder.

A fun intelligent guy, and a great photographer.