Laser drilled pinhole source

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Rich Ullsmith, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Done a little searching here and elsewhere without much luck. I know sources have been mentioned, but I can't find any here.

Looking to replace all my pholes with fresh laser drilled. Can these be made with a +/- .01mm tolerance? I have all my cameras set to about f250, that is, I did the math for the hole-to-film plane distance, and I made a few dozen holes and selected the ones closest to make the math work.

Anyways, a link or ref to a laser pinhole source would be great. Thanks.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. cazenll

cazenll Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought the occasional pinhole off ebay, item 170697364060 for example. But part of the fun of pinhole photography is seeing what you get when you make your own holes, with their various different characters depending on roundness, size, thickness of the material, etc.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably not. Could you measure them that accurately to verify them?

I'm sure they're more than accurate enough though, whatever the actual tolerance is.

I would like to be able to do this myself but the laser we have at work is for cutting plastics and doesn't make a mark on even the thinnest of foils.

Steve.

6. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Lenox Laser is a high precision outfit with a good product line for photography..EC

7. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can scan in the pinhole and use photoshop to measure it....That's how I determined my f/stop.

O noes! Digital talks! I

8. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can do the same thing with an enlarger, a short lens and a ruler or pair of calipers.

9. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No problem at all - one uses an optical comparator, available from all the usual guilty parties:
    http://www.nikoninstruments.com/Products/Measuring-Systems/Optical-Comparators

A tolerance of 10% (1/4 stop) in hole size is more than adequate. Don't forget that the 'optimum' hole size depends on the light wavelength, and as that varies over a close to 2:1 range so does the optimum hole. If one were to be ultimately anally retentive one would need one size hole for red subjects and another size for blue subjects.

I use my enlarger to inspect pinholes for roundness and size. Put the pinhole where the negative should go, put in a short lens and crank the head up. To make sure they have a razor edge to them I look for light reflecting off the sides of the hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011
  10. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lenox Laser makes a great product IME. Expensive, but if you are after the best sharpness you can get from a pinhole, it's the way to go.

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011
  13. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Most accurate pinholes made by chemicals. There was a British or American inventors who tries to collect preorders and make 35mm camera pinholes. I think someone can may be remember them. After learning their names , contact with them and learn who does the etching. Again , may be at APUG or f295 , someone knows the company does these stuff.

Umut

14. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the resources, everybody.

About measuring diameters, I mounted my pholes on a 35mm slide and projected it, then a little algebra. I had a chance to put them under a scope with a micrometer slide, and they are surprisingly accurate.

15. debanddg

debanddg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1 to what Shane said... was going to point you to Earl anyways..

16. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There is little need for pinhole diameter accuracy finer than several percent, even for critical pinhole photography. There is nearly a 2:1 ratio between the largest and smallest diameter pinholes commonly used for each focal length. Nor do the popular pinhole diameter calculators closely agree. Carefully made by hand pinholes can be as clean and accurate as laser drilled ones. More important is selecting the correct diameter for the focal length, color of the light used, angle of coverage, and magnification ratio.

17. Tom Miller

Tom Miller Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I've used EMS apertures for years and they are Excellent. No need to spend any more than Earl's price.