Latest "Gift"

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bobwysiwyg, Jun 29, 2008.

1. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's funny what some folks give you when they find out you're still doing "film" photography. My brother-in-law mentioned he had a Hasselblad left to him by a cousin, but not working if I would be interested in tinkering with it, I was welcome to it. My brother-in-law is strictly a digital user.

So, with the name Hasselblad, figured it was at least worth a drive over there. Turns out it's a 1000F w/Zeiss Sonnar 3.5 135MM. Not exactly the darling of the Hasselblad family. Turns out it works fine, or appears to. He just didn't know how to cock the shutter. Lens has been covered with a haze filter so the glass is in good shape. The interior is clean. The only cosmetic defects are some very slight corrosion on some edges of the chrome trim and some of the leatherette covering is loose on some corners.

One of these days I'll give it a try. Getting use to stopping down the diaphragm is going to be interesting. I wonder how many times I'll forget?:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    D' y' know, around these parts, folks are that tight, they wouldn't part with the steam from their s**t! Nobody gives anything away! I'm deeply jealous:mad:

3. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You got a fine thing there.
    Both the 1000 F camera and Zeiss 135 mm lens are great things, delivering more than excellent results.

Just be careful not to damage the shutter curtains when the back is off.

Manual stopping down for each shot is indeed something you have to get used to. But you will.

4. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rummaged around a bit more. In addition to the 135mm mounted to the camera, there was an 80mm at the bottom of the box. Also appears to be in very good condition. Reading round the rim; Zeiss-Opton Nr588759 Tessar 1:2.8 f-80mm T. The "T" is in red. Anyone have an idea as to the quality of this lens?

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The newly found 80mm was made in 1951. I wasn't aware there was a T* in 1951.

Not sure of quality but damn cool anyway.

6. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At the very least, you got a hell of a collectible.

7. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm beginning to feel like an archaeologist. Found one last piece and I've never seen anything like this before. It's some sort of telephoto lens and it's focused via a trigger like handle. The reference to Bronica is merely a UV filter. The lens functions, clean glass though the diaphragm is a bit stiff, it too works. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Attached Files:

8. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Novoflex

This lens was introduced by Kilfit at the 1956 Photo Kina.
    There were adapters for many of the popular cameras of the time. I've handled a few over the years but never had the oppertunity to shoot with one. Seems awkwood to use but there is a knob to lock the focus.

9. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the background. Yes, it handles awkwardly. Yes, again, there are screw locks both left and/or right to lock the focus. After I give all the lenses a cleaning I'll have to shoot with them and see what turns out.. or not.:wink:

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The 80 mm Tessar is a decent lens, but nothing special. The Kodak 80 mm Ektar that was also available for this camera is a bit better.

The "T" on the Tessar is only a "T", not a "T*".
    "T" coating was invented quite a few years before the 1950s.

But the Novoflex lens made by Kilfit, and introduced in the 1950s?
    I don't know... It's one of those follow-focus thingies Novoflex sold from - i believe - the late 1970s or thereabouts. (Edit: Make that the late 1980s... or the late 1950s after all)
    Novoflex not making cameras (still don't) they made adapters to fit these thingies to almost everything (still do).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  11. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Correct, it is only a "T" nothing else. Very unwieldy gizmo. If a cop were sitting in a patrol car pointing it at me driving by, I would assume I was in for a speeding ticket.:smile:

12. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I've got a Zeiss Super Ikonta folder from around 1950 with a red "T" Zeiss Tessar (no star). I think it's single coated.

13. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sweet, a Hasselblad Photo-Sniper. (Zenit, I think - some Russian company - has a similar system for telephoto lenses on a 35mm SLR).